• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drilling and Tapping

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, on the back of the 3053 tranny in the wrecker, there is a boss thats tapped 7/16X14. It needs to be 1/2X13. It's a blind hole. Is there enough material to drill and tap this?

FreightTrain

Banned
Hate to say it but nope.that is only 1/16th of an inch or 1/32nd per side.The threads are about tripple that.Have the hole welded up and redrill and tap if it HAS to be 1/2x13.

FreightTrain

Banned
Or if there is enough meat you can drill it,tap it for a much larger size,then put a plug in it and drill and tap to what you need.We have been known to do that many times at the plant when some numb nuts forgets that 4 holes per side are threaded holes not smooth pass though holes.......or the really bone headed move of drill out a hole for 1x8 threads to 1 inch.....Hee hee hee,doesn't work too good.Tap just Falls though.

Boatcarpenter

A little late, but here are the #'s 7/16x14 Major diameter .4375, pitch diameter .3911, root diameter .3447.
For 1/2x13 major dia. .5000, pitch dia. .4500, root dia. .4001. Doesn't leave much to work with.

devilman96

Ken what Robert said makes since... With 7/16 If you helicoil it to 1/2 your using a 5/8 OD thread so you have meat to tap into and the helicoil brings you back to the size you need... Or if you make a 1/2 -7/16 stud you get a 1/2 stud sticking out (if you can use a stud). I prolly have that kit if not I can pick on up for stock next week (I never feel bad about having to many heli sizes around).

Or if you want to drill it out and make a threaded plug for it I can turn you one on the lathe which can be brazed or (preferred) sliver soldered which is good to about 7000 psi. It would take longer to install then it would for me to make it... Let me know if ya need any help!!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are also cast iron inserts available. We use them at work to repair blocks. Thread it into the hole with loctite since there's no pressurized fluid there, cut it off and then drill and tap to the size you want. If you can't find any plugs where you live, let me know what size you want and i'll get them at work and send some to you. They are long and tapered so the work almost anywhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here' s a pic of what I'm working with. David Doyle is going to pull one from a bad 3052 and send it to me so the problem will be quelled. I appreciate all the advice on fixing this little glitch. You can see in the pic, there is a bolt in the boss. That is the pivot point of the link that goes to the shift rail for sprag trucks.

Attachments