• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive Shaft differences

brianrbull

I currently own 2 CUCV's 1 M-1008 and a M1031, The M1031 has the much sought after GL mod....:evil:
There are some drive shafts for sale in the classifieds, I need to know if there are any differences between the drive shafts IE Length, Yokes, Spline count ect.. I would normaly just go out and measure it myself buy I am 10,000 miles from my truck. (In Afghanistan) Any help would be greatly appreciated .

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1009's have completely different driveshafts. The rest should be interchangeable for the most part. My M1028A3 (with dana 70) has the shaft out of a M1008 (GM 14 bolt) currently in it. Be advised though the wall thickness is thicker than civvy counterparts and will cost more to have a bent one fixed as it takes a special tube to do it right. Last, the M1028A2 has a NP205 transfer case. That shaft will be different.

Last edited:

brianrbull

My 1031 has a different 4x4 shift lever than my M1008...I am assuming (I know who assumption is the mother of) that I have the NP205, My contact has the PTO Gennie in it. so would that mean that I too have a different type of shaft? and is so would it be possible to just change the splined portion of the shaft? According to the TM there are several variations for the driveshaft. my truck shares the shaft with the M1028a1 Type "F" Shelter Carrier w/PTO. is the only difference wall thickness?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1008 and 1031 have different driveshafts. They have different transfers, 208 and 205. Easiest thing to do is take your bent one (when you get back from taking care of business) to a driveline shop and have them re-tube it for about $120.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, if you have the PTO, you have the 205 and it will be different. I'd either re-tube it or you will pay the big $$$ for one from somewhere like CSI.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks