• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driver's Side Door Handle problem

houdel

I mentioned in an earlier post that my driver's side outside door handle will not unlatch the door. The inside door handle works fine. I recieved several replies suggesting taking out the latch, lubing it etc, but also stating that usually doesn't work.

I did mention one oddity about the door handle that no one commented on. My passenger side door handle is vertical and rotates clockwise, toward the REAR of the truck, to unlatch the door. The drivers side door handle is angled about 15 degrees toward the front of the truck, and rotates clockwise, towards the FRONT of the truck, even though it will not unlatch the door.

My two questions are, 1. Should the drivers side door handle be vertical (i.e., straight up and down) in the normal, latched position; and 2, should the door handle rotate clockwise toward the front or counterclockwise toward the rear to unlatch the door?

As best as I can recall, the normal latched position of the driver's door handle is vertical and it rotates counterclockwise toward the REAR of the truck to unlatch the door. Am I correct on this, and if so, any thoughts as to why my door handle operates so oddly? A defect in the latch, or a right side door latch improperly installed on the left side door?

I'd appreciate some comments of this situation before I go through the extreme aggrevation of pulling the latch out of the door and trying to guess what is wrong. A new latch is about $120 which I would prefer to NOT spend! I have big hands and the door is pretty narrow, so I'm hoping to minimize blood loss fixing this thing!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, I'm thinking someone put it in wrong. As far as the latch position, it can be placed in 4 positions as the shaft is square. I've had ones with twisted shafts too giving it an angle of its own. I can't even answer if there is a right and left latch assy. Might be!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, different mirror-image items for L & R.

The usual problem is the little spiral spring that keeps the strike plunger out.

It gets a beating, as it compresses every time the door is opened or closed. If broken, it can let the inside handle go to the "lock" position all the time and you can't turn the outside one. Used ones are plentiful, just make sure it is cleaned up good and lubed with Lubriplate before putting it back in.

dg

67Beast

I've had a similar problem with my pass. door. The inside handle works fine but the outer does nothing. After pulling out the mechanism from the door I could see what the problem was. When you turn the outer handle, it turns an eccentric ring with an ear off one side. That ear pushes against the door latch to push the latch back to open it. Where it contacts the latch mechanism there is a bent over tab. After 40 years of use, this area had become worn and let the handle ear slip under the latch tab making no contact. The inside handle works fine because it pulls the latch with an arm directly conected to the latch. To fix it I took a hammer and punch and bent the latch tab over a little more to make sure that the handle ear makes contact with it. My outer handle works just fine now. It may sound funny to describe it, but should be clear once you have the latch out of the door and can look at it.

Blackmagic94

I just fixed this issue on my M1083

There is a small plastic retainer clip on the end of the rod that attaches to the latch, it broke 2 of the 3 barb mounts off and would pop out if you grabbed the door handle hard, so I zip tied the rod to the inner door handle rod which prevents it from slipping out, easy fix.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please try to post in the correct forums on similar threads(or start a new one if needed).

Your LMTV door hardware has nothing in common with a 2.5 ton truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks