• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivers side rear wheel stuck!

coleman4130

Very cool how the searches I could have done before posting pop-up while I am posting! Seriously though...

I've just finished installing new 3" lift springs front and rear on the M1028! I backed the truck out of the work shop to sweep up 3 weeks of debris and all was fine until I tried to drive back in and the truck acted like the parking brake was on. And it wasn't. I put 'er in reverse again and she rolled smooth, back into drive and I had to floor it to get 'er back in the garage. :cry:

I lifted the rear axle quick and in neutral passenger side wheel spins free and driver's side wheel would not roll forward but would roll in reverse. So it can't be a stuck drum brake, right?

Any advice?

Thank you!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the wheel, and drum and look. I'd guess a shoe hardware issue( broken spring)

Flyingvan911

A sticking set of shoes can have a powerful grip. The first freezing moisture of the year would cause the rear shoes on my 88' E-150 to stick. The van would not move in 1st or reverse. I would give a good tap on each rim with a 10 pound spike maul and they would break free with a twang sound. No problems for the rest of the winter.

Westech

CPL
I for one would try ti figure it out by myself first... its not like we can tell you whats wrong with a vag description and no pictures. If you installed a lift kit I would hope you are able to diagnose this on your own. If not I know of a ez fix... sell the truck and buy a new Honda with a warranty.

coleman4130

I for one would try ti figure it out by myself first... its not like we can tell you whats wrong with a vag description and no pictures. If you installed a lift kit I would hope you are able to diagnose this on your own. If not I know of a ez fix... sell the truck and buy a new Honda with a warranty.
Uh, wow, thanks.

To everyone else thank you for the help. I still don't understand how it could be a brake issue if the wheel will spin backwards. But I'll go bang on some stuff tomorrow and report back. I'll take some pics for Westech as well; not sure of what - maybe a picture of the hub not turning?

sp00n

You lifted the truck changing the geometry of brake lines, and the ebrake cable. See if it is stretched and unhook it, see if it frees the wheel.

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]DOWN WESTY DOWN!!!!!!! Lol I think what westy was trying to say is we cant be much help without anything but a description to go off of[/FONT]. its kind of like saying "my car is making a noise, what is wrong with it". so what he is saying is that before you make a post you should try and look around a bit, play with the brakes, play with the drive shaft (put it in N and see if you can spin it by hand). that will narow the posabilitys down a bit for us.

Installing a lift kit will change the brake cable enough to cause it to grab like that (don't ask how I know).

Brake shoes in drum brakes are designed to grab better going forward than reverse. You can tighen up the shoes using the star wheel adjuster, so they will only spin in reverse (again, please don't ask me how I know this). They will grab alot more than you think they would.

transman

Rear brakes on these trucks are "self energizing" meaning they apply a lot more force going forward than in reverse.A streched or bound parking brake cable can account for your trouble.

Last edited:

2deuce

When a shoe freezes to a drum and rusts can stick them too, backing breaks it loose easier than going forward. Since only one wheel is sticking, it must be the E brake cable needing to be alittle longer due to the lift. I would loosen that first. Then pull the drum if necessary.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
coleman4130,
If you haven't gotten it figured out, give me a call. I live in Denver and would be willing to drive up and help if necessary.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Don't let WESTY get to yah. Oh, here in Colorado, we've got a great MV club. I'd gladly introduce you around at the Feb meeting if you want.

Call me if you need any help.

AND WELCOME TO SS.

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool how the searches I could have done before posting pop-up while I am posting! Seriously though...

I've just finished installing new 3" lift springs front and rear on the M1028! I backed the truck out of the work shop to sweep up 3 weeks of debris and all was fine until I tried to drive back in and the truck acted like the parking brake was on. And it wasn't. I put 'er in reverse again and she rolled smooth, back into drive and I had to floor it to get 'er back in the garage. :cry:

I lifted the rear axle quick and in neutral passenger side wheel spins free and driver's side wheel would not roll forward but would roll in reverse. So it can't be a stuck drum brake, right?

Any advice?

Thank you!
AS I your post the the rear axle on M1028 has a detroit locker as I know if you have an problem on one side you could not move the other side at all both wheel will move in the same rotation eather way if one spin and the other does not spin you have internal problems in the diff as for brakes did you bend the bracket on the valve on the axle or extend the the rod to make up in hight
some times per valve will give you some problems to.

Barrman

I was thinking about the locker thing too reading the earlier post this morning. You can sometimes get one wheel to turn, but you have to break it loose to spin. As in rock the tire front to back kind of hard and then it will go CLUNK and then let you spin one. If you didn't have to do that, then your locker is broken or been removed before you got the truck. Pulling the pan might be a good idea no matter what brake or parking brake problem you caused or didn't cause doing the lift.

466Navastar

wouldnt hurt to take the drum off and take a look see before inviting blind speculation----I would guess the lack of initiative was what sparked the crass response.

coleman4130

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I was confused and didn't know where to begin (kinda like every morning!).

I had just enough time today to look at the e-brake cables, remove the ALSD extension arm and snap some pics. Something may not be right with the driver's side cable. I'll start with that then the drum then the diff/lockef concern, which is concerning me now...

Could be a week before I can get the truck back on stands. In the meantime I'll fab the extension pieces for the ALSD and do a lot of research in the TM's and online.

Attachments