• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft bolt size

Hummer Guy

Anyone has the exact size for the driveshaft bolts that connects the rear transfer case driveshaft to the rear axle? I'm hoping I can go to the store right quick and get them instead of ordering some, I lost the original when we removed them for a tow

Reactions: HDN

rustystud

Anyone has the exact size for the driveshaft bolts that connects the rear transfer case driveshaft to the rear axle? I'm hoping I can go to the store right quick and get them instead of ordering some, I lost the original when we removed them for a tow
Those bolts are a "special" size. I cannot remember off the top of my head what they, just that I had to order them from "White Owl" parts. You cannot use standard bolts as the bolts shank is extra long to locate the two flanges. If you use regular bolts the flanges will "shift" and then loosen the bolts.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone has the exact size for the driveshaft bolts .......
Exact............? :giggle:

Hex head, 1/2”-20 tpi UNF, Grade-8, L= 1-½”, partially threaded, 5/8" shank (grip)
IMG_20240606_114924_315.jpgIMG_20240606_114956_212.jpgIMG_20240606_115029_282.jpgIMG_20240606_115056_670.jpg

BTW: Flanges are 3/8" thick. So, if the stock bolts are hard to find (or too expensive), a std 2" long, Grade 8 bolt with a 3/4" unthreaded shank will also do, after cutting off about half an inch of its threaded end.

sue

Aircraft spruce has them in there catalog for $4.40 each
when I go to the military shows,meets etc. I can’t believe the people there don’t know about aircraft spruce, any hardware you need, if you call you talk to a real person
right away, and free LARGE catalog.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aircraft spruce has them in there catalog for $4.40 each
First time I ever heard of them.... thanks for the hint!

Not sure where you saw them, at that price... (?) Closest I could find would be their AN8-13 (cad-plated, undrilled), 1-15/32 nom.length, 11/16 grip length, at $2.08 each.
Would be great if they had the correct lock nuts for this, too.

sue

First time I ever heard of them.... thanks for the hint!

Not sure where you saw them, at that price... (?) Closest I could find would be their AN8-13 (cad-plated, undrilled), 1-15/32 nom.length, 11/16 grip length, at $2.08 each.
Would be great if they had the correct lock nuts for this, too.
Yes they have nuts too.

sue

Exact............? :giggle:

Hex head, 1/2”-20 tpi UNF, Grade-8, L= 1-½”, partially threaded, 5/8" shank (grip)
View attachment 925212View attachment 925213View attachment 925214View attachment 925215

BTW: Flanges are 3/8" thick. So, if the stock bolts are hard to find (or too expensive), a std 2" long, Grade 8 bolt with a 3/4" unthreaded shank will also do, after cutting off about half an inch of its threaded end.
And you should be commended for a great answer to a question with pictures too!