• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivetrain on CJ

jesuscowboy

Looking to swap complete drivetrain; engine, tranny, t-case, and rockwells into a jeep cj; just wondering what you guys think. I know I will need a beefier frame which I plan on building custom frame because I want to extend wheelbase to somewhere around 110". Just looking for some ideas or input.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is the idea to just mount the body on the monster? I would think about stretching the body too I made a CJ3B body out of sheet metal as a teenager. What are the specifics and any pictures will get you more ideas coming and welcome to the site. I hope your screen name means you are a ropin and riding the range for Jesus

Jakob

I think it'd be easier to swap the CJ onto the Deuce frame. Just modify the frame to your desired wheelbase. I think that'd be ALOT easier.

jesuscowboy

as far as swapping cj body to deuce frame I plan on narrowing the axles by turning hubs in and cutting axle tubes to use short side axles on both sides; but brings up good point how wide is deuce frame. I'm looking to build the ultimate narrow shortwheel base multifuel indestructiable survival jeep. Also what are bobbed deuce wheelbases running. I saw a guy put a 6.0 powerstroke in cj and from info I can find the multifuel is about six inches longer so I'm thinking of building a van type tunnel. As far as pics I'm in the "dreaming" phase. And for the name I try to follow what I read in the "book" not what the preachers tell me on sunday; I just look at the words not the interpretation. Any ideas would be appreciated. And I'm looking on GL and found some deuces that are missing few parts and are going for cheap just can't figure out a way to load so any help there would be great.

Jakob

Well, without taking measurement, I don't think narrowed axles would work on a stock Deuce frame. The tires would hit when turning, that is unless you plan on running smaller tires? Bobbed Deuce wheelbases vary, depending on personal preference.

madsam

Do you really want the Jeep look? If not, I would think of a bobbed deuce would be less work. The duece axles are not to wide anyway. (The 5Ton axles are wider, and they are not much more than my old dodge.) The engine and tranny are heavy truck engines type, and need a good frame. It is a lot taller than lets say a 6 in a CJ. So if you don't care about it looking like a CJ, then I would go bobbed.

Realize that these deuces were made by Jeep as long as they are newer than the 50s. Who ever owned Jeep, built them. (AM general - American Motors: Keiizer ) I guess there are some others, but mainly I think that is true.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks