• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving thru Canada

Markmoraes

I'm looking at buying a M925A2 in the lower 48 (hoping west coast), and then driving thru Canada to Alaska. Has anyone had or know of any problems or issues that I need to deal with prior to buying one?

Thunder in NWOR

In 2012, the MVPA Alaska Highway Convoy, about 100 HMVs, including Duces and 5 tons, crossed the border from Lower 48 to Canada, to Alaska, and back with almost no problems.
The one guy asked the most questions was a French participant.
I spent more time answering questions like where I got it, how much I paid, what I use it for, milage; than the big qestions; where ya going? firearms? booze? amount of cash? insurance? and coming into US - Passports.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't find the thread right now, but there is a member who did exactly what you want to do just a few months ago. He posted a detailed account of the process and his trip. I believe he picked up his 5 ton in Barstow, or maybe it was Sierra Vista. I think he posted his 5 ton for sale soon after he got back to AK.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......... I believe he picked up his 5 ton in Barstow, or maybe it was Sierra Vista. I think he posted his 5 ton for sale soon after he got back to AK.

I would do the same .. and buy a next one in the lower 48, drive it to AK, sell it ..... ad infinitum. Just for the fun of driving those trucks along the Alaska Highway and stop over in mile 422 Toad River Lodge for a coffee and the Liard Hot Springs for a refreshing bath and ... and .... and ....
(I am definitely living on the wrong side of the ocean. .cry.gif)

seano11

Stop at the shepards inn just outside of fort St. John wicked food. Then at the bucking horse for supper wicked food again plus crazy hot lonely blonde waitress who is 19

61sleepercab

A local WV farm family made 4 or 5 trips to Alaska and back in a 1960's Dodge sedan with a six cylinder and three on the tree. My uncle and aunt made 2 or 3 trips in a pickup truck and camper. They reported long stretches of road with little services in between. I would figure some spare tires or some way to fix flats on the road and a good supply of fuel and water for long hauls. Extra fuel filter would be a good idea if you get a dose of bad fuel.

Pretty country to see, get a good truck, take your time and take pictures along the way. A couple from Ohio drove a two cylinder John Deere tractor with cab pulling a little travel trailer raising money for charity and they wrote a book about the trip. Maybe you have a charity to raise money for along the trip. " Penny a Mile pledge for -----------" Keep us posted. Mark

Another Ahab

Stop at the shepards inn just outside of fort St. John wicked food. Then at the bucking horse for supper wicked food again plus crazy hot lonely blonde waitress who is 19
19. She's a kid; a child.

And somebody's daughter.

I wish her friendship, so she is no longer lonely; and ask the Lord's help to guard her from the predators.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You are a figure of noble character.

And I do not doubt that you respect the dignity of every fellow human being you encounter; no matter where, no matter when. You would never treat another person as a mere object; a toy, meant for your personal amusement. I know that. And for that I honor you.

And for that Jesus also holds you in his Love, Brother. Amen.

AND…back to the OP:

- Wondering how you gas up along the ALCAN highway. Are there stations along it, spotted regularly?

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas stations along the ALCAN are fairly regular, but I don't know about the availability of diesel. When I drove south from Fairbanks in June 2011 I drove a gas Dodge 2500 pulling a trailer and only had a fuel issue once. On the eastern edge of BC a station I planned to stop at closed earlier than I figured. It was a lodge with gas pumps and the lodge was open, but they wouldn't open the pumps for me. If I wouldn't have had 20 gallons in jerry cans on board I would have had to wait until morning. There are some very remote stretches of road. My advice is to carry enough fuel to get to the next station.

I understand in the winter there are fewer fuel stations open. Overall, it was an awesome drive and I hope I have a reason to make that trip again.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get into the habit of topping up when you see a tank station after you pass your half-empty mark. Might sound a bit overdone, but it saves unexpected problems or having to rely on filled jerry cans (not bad to have one of those as well). And by then its time to stretch your legs and get another coffee as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks