• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropside bed?

Banshee365

Hey guy's. The guy I'm buying my deuce from offered if I help him swap beds we'll put a dropside bed on my truck which has a straight side now. My bed is in great shape with very minor rust and very straight. The dropside bed is a great feature I would use but it has a bit of surface rust on the front of the tailgate but is also pretty straight and rust free. It also has the pockets for the bows and everything which is nice. I 'll obviously get to keep my mud flaps, tool rack, and such. The question I have is do yall think it's worth it? It does need 2 of those handles with the threaded rod that clamps the sides shut on the back but I might be able to find some in his yard. Are drop side bed parts hard to come by? The sides drop great and the hinges are in pretty good condition. What do yall think, is it worth it? I'd need to sand blast and at least prime the tailgate soon to stop the rust.

-Kelly

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
will you honestly be USING the drop side feature? Yes it is cool to have the drop side, but worth all that effort?? I dunno....

mcinfantry

i have pulled my straightside to swap for a dropsde, only to find it was a 5 ton dropside. put my straightside on and used it like that a year. i bought a dropside 150 miles away, pulled my bed off and drove w/o a bed to go get it.

i have used mine so much, i cannot see how i functioned witout it

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Even if you don't use it, it can be a popular item, thus making resale at a future point potentially easier and/or more profitable.

I know we all think we'll never part with our toys, but sometimes the unexpected occurs....

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to reuse the metal parts of the mud flaps for the dropside. The holes are in a different place. They sit a little wider. They also have stops on them to keep the sides from touching the tires. So you can drive with the sides down. It's the only way to go. I can go to the lumber yard and they can load it from the side with a forklift now. And it's much easier when i getting fire wood. I don't have to go all the way to the back to throw the wood in. If you have a M105 in tow It's a lot easier to load and unload also. Go for it! you'll love it.

Banshee365

Thanks for all the replies guy's. I'm pulling my bed off tomorrow and probably pulling some of the N/A exhaust off to get ready for the turbo and new exhaust. How is the parts availability for the dropside bed? i'll probably buy a few bags of blasting sand and some green primer and blast and prime the front of the tailgate and a few other spots to stop what rust there is before I leave his property. Should be a nice truck buy the time it leaves his lot considering everything goes well. So to mount the mud flaps I'll need to drop the sides, hold the flap assembly up and drill the new holes? or will they just mount in a different location? Thanks again guys!

-Kelly

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kelly, The dropside metal mudflaps have a larger relief angles. And Small rubber tabs that the sides rest on when they are down.

Banshee365

Hey Ken. So do you think fixed side flaps won't work on the drop side? Maybe he has the flaps on the other truck with the rusted out bed, we'll see. Thanks guys!

-Kelly

Armada

I've got both types of mudflaps here, and it looks like you can easily trim the square flaps back to work on the dropside.

Also, anybody have a set, or a source for the 2 stabalizer bars that are used on the rear sides, inside of the dropside box? It sturdies the sides up when the tailgate is down.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im looking for the dropside bed Pinoneer tool bracket MOUNTS.. I have the bracket itself, I need the parts that attach it to the truck bed.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep you could trin the others to fit and redrill the holes. I figured if the others where avalible then get them.
Emmando, Do you need the brackets that go to the front of the bed or to the mudflap?
I have a spare set if you need them.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,

What Im looking for the the brackets that hold the pioneer kit to the drop side bed. If thats what you have, let me know the cost and shipping.

Thanks!

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks