• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropsides ARE useful!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to get some dirt to even out the backyard. I took the M1028 first and got a ton, then decided I'd need a lot more than that. I took the deuce the next time and ended up with 4 1/2 tons in it. You could tell the extra weight was there, but it didn't feel dangerous or overly slow. The acceleration suffered, mostly.

The springs and tires did not look like they were having a hard time. The truck does ride lower. Having the dropsides was nice, I dropped the side and shoved the dirt down into my wheelbarrow.

I learned two things -

1. Dirt is deceptively heavy.
2. Army trucks are fun.

Well, I already knew that 2nd one. :jumpin:

Attachments

ARYankee

I agree about the dropside. I never had one until I got the M923 and I got a wee bit over 8 tons of gravel to repair my driveway. It was nice dropping a side and just pushing it out :) I wish one of my deuces had dropsides too.

That fill dirt is high. The SB2 that I got was $7.50 a ton. I can tell you that having a large MV to carry this stuff is awesome and saves some money. I can't imagine the cost of having the SB2 hauled in.

Odyssey M

Hooray for the drop side mafia. I am still waiting for a reason to drop mine...

Was that a 2 man job to drop the side? I was thinking about keeping a block and tackle on the truck for this purpose.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fill dirt is high. The SB2 that I got was $7.50 a ton. I can tell you that having a large MV to carry this stuff is awesome and saves some money. I can't imagine the cost of having the SB2 hauled in.
Hmm, I thought I was doing pretty good at $12.95/ton. A lot of the other places were almost $25/ton. One place was $3.00/ton, but it was very rocky and you had to load it yourself.

Was that a 2 man job to drop the side? I was thinking about keeping a block and tackle on the truck for this purpose.
No, not at all. It is very easy to do on your own. Even with the troop seats in it, it is very doable.

ARYankee

Well I'm sure there is some differences in pricing between our areas. I haven't priced fill dirt around here. I got my SB2 straight from the quarry so I know that makes a difference as well.

It is great having those dropsides. :cool:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm sure there is some differences in pricing between our areas. I haven't priced fill dirt around here. I got my SB2 straight from the quarry so I know that makes a difference as well.

It is great having those dropsides. :cool:
You would think dirt would be cheaper in the desert. :cookoo:

GilaSlim

You would think dirt would be cheaper in the desert. :cookoo:
For some reason, fill dirt in the Phoenix area is real expensive. Probably because all the desert areas are protected - you would be arrested for digging it up.

The cheapest way to get fill dirt is to wait for the canal dry-ups in Nov to Jan. They use Tele-Scoops to dig out the silt, then haul it off. If you are closer than where they are supposed to dump it, you can get it free. It may be pretty sandy, and might have shopping carts or old appliances, but those are easy to get out.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed! When I moved from Az to La last summer I had to haul cast-iron woodworking machinery...12-in jointer, 24-in planer, 4X4 table saw, and a spare diesel for the boat. Built pallets for all, dropped the sides, and tucked 'em all in slickern snot. With all the other stuff I used to keep the pallets from shifting around, maybe 3.5 tons total. Biggest pains were putting the stake sides back in [forklift made it eminently doable] and putting the cover back on alone.

Gotta love these trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks