• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove my XM818 to auction

Blythewoodjoe

I drove my XM818 up to an auction company last week and it will auction off Wednesday. The main reason I posted this is because I pulled an equipment trailer behind it and thought some of you guys might like to see the pictures.

If anyone is near Greenville SC and wants to check out the auction, here's link to the site. Its actually the page the truck is listed on. It's about half way down.

Martin & Martin Auctioneers is the Leader in Construction Equipment Auctions and Real Estate Auctions.

Anyway, I made a piece to go in the neck of the trailer so it would fit the 5th wheel. I'm sure you could buy one, but I left my truck and the trailer behind it and the trencher on the trailer there for the sale. The ford was my ride home.

The truck ran fine but did get a little slow on hills. I found it hard not to over rev the engine going down hill. It was just so slow at 55 mph. I will be up there Wednesday just for the fun of it. I want to see what the truck will bring. I don't plan to drive it home so I hope it brings a little something. I also will be watching a bunch of FEMA trailers. I don't need one, but I plan to smoke them over and see if any are worthy of ownership. There are dozens of porta-johns for sale too. I have always wanted one :mrgreen:

Well, here's the pictures.

Attachments

Blythewoodjoe

Well they run my truck through the auction and it didn't bring what I wanted.

SO,,,,,,,,,

I am going to put it in the classified in a few hours when I have time, but if anyone is interested in buying it, $4000 will get it. I really don't want to drive it back home and if I do I will be asking more for it. This is a "I don't want to drive it back home" price.

Anyway they will run it through again tomorrow with the equipment and maybe it will sell. It is located in Greenville SC and will be there a little while longer. I will post a link to the classifieds in a little bit with more info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Double Dip recession. It's a bad time to sell.

btw, I just came back from my inlaws. Was looking at his Brand new JD farm tractor(made in INDIA). With several items showing CHINA, cast into them.

I had to fix his 3 year old spreader that has no bushings on the apron shafts. It seems to have sheared a 3/8x1.125" woodruff key. I noticed everything on it was manufactured as inexpensively as possible(at the cost of durability). The worst thing is, it was a top of the line , name brand unit!

It's a shame.

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

The sad part is someone was willing to pay $4000 for the truck, I told the sales guy to get a little more (mostly to cover their commission). Live and learn.

As you mentioned, everything, even good names, are getting pretty crappy. I bought a rebuild caliper for my M886 yesterday and it was only $15.00 with exchange. That's so cheap I expect it to break. Things are getting so cheap I'm starting to feel sorry for those little China men that can't make more than $4 a week.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Things are getting so cheap I'm starting to feel sorry for those little China men that can't make more than $4 a week.
This will complicate your feelings............ read all 8 pages.

The Man Who Makes Your iPhone - BusinessWeek

The owner is worth a hair shy of 6 Billion dollars (that's billion with a B) and his workers (who are committing suicide at a fast enough rate for the company to have erected "suicide nets" outside the building to catch jumpers) make on avg. $176 a month and that's after a recent 30% wage increase to try and keep them from killing themselves.

Blythewoodjoe

You know, I don't want to be one of these off topic thread starters, so I will relate this to MV's :roll:.

Do we make anything in the USA anymore? Case in point:

I put a keyed switch in all MV's around here. I put one in my M813. I got it from Carquest. It worked great. I wanted one for the M818 but the only place I passed one week was Advanced Auto. Pick up one that looked cheap. Cost less than the other one I bought years ago. Even had 3 keys. Make in.....China.

Installed it and as soon as I turned the key the starter engaged. I check it out and it was just put together wrong. I went to Carquest (out of the way) and picked up a couple for about 1/3 more money. Just like the one I have already. And made in.....Mexico. The sad part of this story, I was very happy. I threw the one away from Advanced auto. It wasn't worth my time to return it, it was so cheap. I didn't want cheap, I wanted something that would work. And I just don't know if anybody here makes such parts anymore. Have we been cheap consumers so long, that all the good stuff has gone away?

Lastly, I really like to use USA made stuff in the MV. It's just don't seem natural to use foreign stuff.

Oh here's the link to the classifieds:

XM818 $4000, and it runs - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will complicate your feelings............ read all 8 pages.

The Man Who Makes Your iPhone - BusinessWeek

The owner is worth a hair shy of 6 Billion dollars (that's billion with a B) and his workers (who are committing suicide at a fast enough rate for the company to have erected "suicide nets" outside the building to catch jumpers) make on avg. $176 a month and that's after a recent 30% wage increase to try and keep them from killing themselves.
I've been watching that too. It's just a mess over there. They've hired religious counselors, erected nets, etc etc. I dont buy Foxconn electronics anymore because of this.

kastein

I've been watching that too. It's just a mess over there. They've hired religious counselors, erected nets, etc etc. I dont buy Foxconn electronics anymore because of this.
I don't use Foxconn connectors anymore because most of em are crappy quality... their motherboards etc have ALWAYS been crappy quality. I can't stand most iDevices so there was no chance of me buying an iPhone anyways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks