• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dueces in Louisiana

What is everyones thoughts on the dueces in louisiana they say water damage . The electrical on a duece is water pruf correct but being insalt water for weeks could cause problems. Anyones thoughts thinking they might go cheap Thanks Kenneth

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you were to buy one, I would anticipate having to drain and flush all 3 axles, tranny and transfer case. Flush brake system and repack all wheel bearings and inspect for corrosion issues. Full chassis greasing, etc.

That's assuming it wasn't fully submerged. If the engine was submerged, it's in the air. I'd imagine salt water in a turbo isn't a great idea.

Crazyguyla

Some of these trucks are from my old NG Unit 1/141 FA. They were in New Orleans when Katrina hit and they were completely submerged. Also trucks with the bumper numbers 61 TC and 1088 Eng were also in the new orleans area. 61TC's motorpoll was across the street from 1/141 FA's motorpool. 1088 ENG motorpool was on the northside of Lake Ponchatrain. All the others posted on GL's website in La were in South La during Katrina.

The trucks were submurged in fresh (sewage) water for a few weeks. Before Katrina happened, the trucks needed the winches rebuilt (they were frozen). All trucks ran strong and were driven from New Orleans, La to Ft Hood, Tx in 2004. They were sent back to New Orleans because we were not taking them to Iraq. They sat around until Katrina hit and were probly deemed by the state as unrepairble. FYI 1/141 A8 has gremlins.. that truck always had an issue, but would run. I hope this helps everyone [thumbzup] :driver:

To give everyone a clue on the depth of the water, the picture labled motorpools, the square bulding in the back with the white roof, is a 2 1/2 story maint shop.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For other than sheetmetal parts or the bed, I'd say these trucks are TOAST! Any engine/drivtrain or electrical part, it's gotta be screwed up somehow.... Water damage, rust, or just sheer nasty water smell.

jasonjc

So they were all under water for weeks. NOTHING on those truck were ment for that they are not submarines! The gear boxs are probly still full to the top with water. Beware of parts coming up on Ebay after these are sold. 2cents
And GL has alot of neve to say "some water damage". Is not fully discloseing this fact against the law?????????
Buy one then sue them? :p

mangus580

jasonjc said:
And GL has alot of neve to say "some water damage". Is not fully discloseing this fact against the law?????????
Buy one then sue them? :p
Remember... they didnt even have to say that!

rdixiemiller

I'll bet the engines are still full of water, along with the gearboxes. I wouldn't buy one unless I owned a lowboy to haul it home with, and then all you would get would be sheet metal parts, tires, and wheels. I would imagine everything else would be toast.
Well, you might get a good radiator and water pump out of the deal.......If something didn't wash against the radiator and trash it.....

mcinfantry

ok.
the jackson barracks vehicles WERE submerged for at least a couple weeks. they lost ALL of those. the water wasnt fresh. it was actualy brackish. i like to add i have seen glocks taken from the same water that looked like civil war relics. if it ate the tenifer finish on a glock, the deuce WILL be worse. maybe, maybe sheetmetal. but id be leery of even that. the glocks are brown. i wish i kept the pictures.

jatonka

MCINFANTRY, the information you offered us is what this list is all about. Thank you very much for 1st hand specific information on upcoming auction vehicles. I hope you cost GL a lot of money. Since they don't send much of it to our government.John Tennis

mcinfantry

i left MY truck at the motor pool for about 2months. i also told them they could ruin it, leave it, burn it, smash it, if they needed it.
i told them use it if they wanted too. i dont know if they did, and dont care.

if, and i mean if, i can get to pineville in a few days ill look at them. the neat thing is when you look at the cars. dipped galvanized bodies that were painted then submerged (new cars) look bad enough. the duece used more and more and more layers of paint to try and achieve rust protection....

jasonjc

It shure looks like they sept some time and money cleaning those truck up they dont look too bad in the pic. BUT like must others here I would bet that the engines and grear boxes are full of who know what. My '53 M135 that was not under water and had oil in the T case when I open it up still had some deep pitted rust on some of the grears. Just think what mouths in that toxic sluge down there whould do???? But maybe some cheap boady parts??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks