• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump Bed Deuce?

Bluefox_gt

I think I finally found a Truck!. Its a dump bed truck 2 1/2 ton. did they really make those? The guy said it was a 2 1/2 ton but idk, going to look at it this evening and I'll post some pics up as soon as I get back. He said it runs or did about 10 years ago, but had no brakes, he bought the truck because it had a boom in the back IDK?.. He took the boom off the truck and put it on something else. He told me he found out it started when they was pushing it because of no batterys that it started up and took off, guess it was in gear? Does all this sound right? Would they start like that? well I'll be back with some pics. It sounded odd to me everything he described to me about it

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did make some deuce dumps. It could be a regular cargo truck that somebody converted though.

Yes, they will start if pushed in gear (if the fuel shutoff is in) even with no batteries.

scooter01922

Where to begin.....YES they will start when pushed if in gear even with no batts. Don't know what to say about all the other stuff other than to get us LOTS OF PICS and we can try to tell you what it is or was.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would verify the conditions of the brakes before pushing one off. (or do it in a place where you have room to coast to a stop)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he's talking about the Cummins powered trucks. They will start with no batteries if you turn the screw on the IP.

Bluefox_gt

well... Im very disappointed in what I seen I took some pics but you cant hardly see the truck from all the trees and brush up around it.. Plus when I got up to it I seen no stack. so I popped the hood and found a gasser.. Never have seen one in real life. Pretty interesting how just that small 2v carb feeds that big I-6. It indeed is a dump bed, looks like off a OLD OLD Mack truck.. Sides on the bed is about 3 ft tall with no tailgate. I have some pics but really cant tell much about it... it showed 46k miles couldnt get to the hour meter. The tag showed M35a2 W/W. but had no bumper or winch on front..lol Truck was in tooo bad of shape to fool with.

How do I add Pics?

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Unlike a deuce which has a mechanical linkage to shut off the engine, Cummins powered 5-tons have an electrical cutoff. If you have no power, you cannot energize the cutoff solenoid and get fuel to the engine.

That does not look the the dump conversion-that is the "planter" conversion....it has been altered to grow vegetation. They seldom can be reversed engineered. I am all about saving vehicles....but X2 to leave it.

Orionspath

Looking forward to more info (pics) regarding the DUMP BED. I read here once that there is an aftermarket set up, though I don't recall what / where that was......If anyone has any info on that, weave it into this thread, as that is the last option I want to add to my truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish that was somewhere around here. I'd drive a hundred miles just for the thrill of the recovery. If you have plenty of time for the recovery and don't feel like defoliating, put some goats around it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unlike a deuce which has a mechanical linkage to shut off the engine, Cummins powered 5-tons have an electrical cutoff. If you have no power, you cannot energize the cutoff solenoid and get fuel to the engine.
You can start a Cummins without power. There is a screw you can turn on the IP that will bypass the electric solenoid and she'll fire right up :wink:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks