• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump mod using dropside bed?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone converted a M35A2C dropside cargo truck to a dump? Is the bed strong enough without the sides being permanantly attached?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a M35A2C and a hoist but haven't got around to installing it yet. I think it will work ok with some mods. The outside rail of the bed is made of thicker material on a dropside than it is on a standard cargo bed so that should help support the bed. What I was planning on doing to support the sides with the tailgate down is build a tailgate to use for dump work. I'm going to take and get some heavy walled tubing or soild stock that will fit in the rear stake pockets, run them up a foot or so above the sides, attach a rod between the tubing at the top, and build a swinging tailgate that will swing on the rod. That should hold the back of the sides and I can reinstall the stock tailgate when I'm not hauling something loose. I think it will work fine with rear support of the sides.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be okay if you box the bed frame. Was going to put a dropside on my truck, but stuck with the regular bed for dump use. Regular bed works good, without any reinforcement for what I haul.

Dennis

tm america

i did . i have an m35a2c with a twin cylinder dump set up on it. ive had it stacked over the roof with sand di about forty loads like that digging a mud bog pit . tore out a driveway hauled three loads of concrete over the roof buy about a foot real heavy my hitch was about two inches off the ground .the sides will bow out and pop back into place the sides were bowed out like two inches in the middle of the bed when i had the concrete in there but went right back to straight when i dumped the load. i boxedc the bed frame rails with 3/16ths plate no flex from b the bed in that way dropside is the only way to go . you can load it with a forklift and dump it no need to break your back

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks