• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dump trailer

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
At the Ga rally, I picked up an M353 trailer from Timntrucks (Thanks again Tim). Kenny bought a shorty dump for its hard to find parts and asked me to bring him what he wanted, in trade for labor, I could have the left over hulk. I thought I was going to sell the dump section but that fell through, so I am putting it on my 353. The 353 with genset on it weighs 10,000plus lbs so I figure it would make a good platform. As it turns out, the dump bed and subframe only need minor trimming to make it work with the trailer. Some 5x5, .25 wall tube will be bolted to the trailer and the dump subframe bolted to it. I had to trim the outside of the dump bed "skirt" to clear the tires, but that part was WAY WAY rotted anyway. I didn't mean to make as much progress as I did today, so I have no pics, but will post some up tomorrow. Man, I never realized how handy my plasma cutter is.

On a side note, if you plan on cutting alot of steel and don't have welding gloves. Do yourself a favor and go buy some! I couldn't find mine so I used regular leather gloves, and after a few hours of cutting, my wrists have SO many burns on them, it isn't funny. aua

Anyway, I hope to have the dump bed mounted to the trailer chassie tomorrow. Then I will start working on re-building the bed sides since they are in rough shape. Next hydraulic lines and the pump. Finally some paint, I'm not a fan of the blue.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the pics up... and WHAT A JUNKER!...

Should be pretty neat, the deck height with the dump is going to be really low.

jimm1009

Me too if I can keep the correct M105A1 look without too much trouble.
I have to haul some gravel for anew house that was recently built (#2 son) and a dump would sure make it easy (easier anyway) to unload.
I'm guessing an independent 12 volt standalone hydraulic pack is most practical unless 24 volt is not too hard to find.
Running a 24 volt wire from the deuce would not be too bad and there are high amp connectors available.
O.K. I'm starting to drool...
Must have pictures or concept drawings... :drool:

A new "Northern Hydraulics" system for a civy pickup bed is about $1800 so there has to be other sources that we can actually afford to buy from and piece together.

jimm1009

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A buddy got me a 24v hyd pump from a cement truck. I will have it attached to a slave cable recepticle and run it off the trucks power with slave cables.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from the Ga. Rally
Aboard the transformer oil powered Deuce.

The Deuce was a mighty cargo truck,
The trailer old and used.
Two collectors set sail that day
Gilligan needed a trailer, Timmy wanted to sell, they were enthused.

The ride started getting rough,
The salad was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The trailer would be lost, the trailer would be lost.

The Deuce set ground on the shore of Cincinnati as soon as it could
With Gilligan
The trailer too,
Special Ed and his hat,
The transformer oil
The laptop and wireless card,
There in Gilligan's neighborhood.

So this is the tale of a bunch of military surplus,
It'll be there for a long, long time,
Gilligan will have to make the best of things,
It's an uphill climb.

The first mate and Special Ed too,
Will do their very best,
To make the trailer dump,
Otherwise the exercise was all in waste.

No EUC, no SF-97, no fancy shop,
Not a single luxury,
Like Wreckerman's house,
It's as primitive as can be.

So join us here each week my friends,
You're sure to get a smile,
From a lunatic with a welder and a torch,
Here on "Gilligan's Isle."

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Crack is amazing...it can seperate the strongest oak board, look really good (or bad) in a G-string, or completely rot a fellers mind:!:

Actually that's funny Clinto.
I don't care who you are

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did I get drug into this mess???? aua

Clinto, that's actually pretty good. I think maybe we should start a contest. Who can come up with the best "Gimpy's" Island theme. The winner get's to help out with his next breakdown.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks