• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax engine swap

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got in the shop today and on the lift, turns out it has an AirDog II 4G lift pump filter setup, between the AMP motorized running boards, the Cheetah turbo and the AirDog I have more add on acc. than I paid for the truck by far, not even counting the 4" exhaust and the high flow intake which I will only be able to use very little of, also confirmed it was set up for DSP-5 which means it has probably been run really hard, the top of the fuel tank was pretty clean so it ptobaly did not see much off road activity
Not only will you get to do an amazing engine/drive train swap, you will get to auction off a lot of stuff to re-coupe a lot of your investment.

I think you got an awesome deal.

As far as being "run hard" , and the fact that she is a roll-over, with all these upgrades she might have been run hard and put to bed wet BUT she is a Duramax, so I bet she is fine.

If you're worried, run compression tests cold and warm. Also send the oil out to be tested for wear. I bet the engine will be perfect, but never a bad idea to check her out with tests. You can also try to contact the original owner and see what he/she has to say.

I would love to see how this turns out for you, because I would love to do this swap in the future.

I look forward to your future posts. Following this thread.

Best,

T

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE
Well I finally got enough of the crumpled body cut away to test run the engine and it purrs like a kitten, the motor has been built or rebuilt as it has aftermarket head gaskets and the pan and cam cover have definitely been off, this makes me feel a little better as when I got the dash fired up she shows 270K.
So yesterday I got it out of the chassis and in it temporary resting place, I saw a video of a conversion that used the factory GM dash cluster, this is the way I want to go even though it means having to do all the wiring mods myself as nobody I have seen will do this, and I want to also use the factory head light switch and transfer case switch which handily is incorporated in a pod that will lend itself to adaption.
The up side to all this work is because I will be using the factory fuse panels and the BCM to control the lights etc the next guy will be able to use the factory GM operator handbook and the factory information center notifications to troubleshoot problems, and the run/start relays etc. will be available at just about any auto parts store...
Another plus is I will not have to install a $500 shifter which still would not be "correct" all I have to do is make sure the shifter has enough throw to hit all the positions and the dash will tell me what position I am in!
The picture I captured of the dash shows them using the factory trans case shift controls, that one is a 06-07 dash and is a little different than the 08-10 dash. So while I am waiting for the EUC on #2 to go through I will finish stripping the cab and turn back to the 4L60 project on #1. Cluster.JPG
Running.JPG
onthefloor.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so I am about ready to dive into this conversion and would like to have a one on one with some folks that have actually done this conversion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks