• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax Upgrade

hotrdd

Looking to put an engine and transmission in my M1152. Not new to diesels but definitely new to Duramax. Look for recommendation for Duramax engine and transmission combo so that I can improve general driving and towing my camping trailer. I'll do some outboard brake upgrades and some other items but right now I want to understand what engine to look for, or what complete donor truck years? So far the one I've heard about the most is the LB7?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looking to put an engine and transmission in my M1152. Not new to diesels but definitely new to Duramax. Look for recommendation for Duramax engine and transmission combo so that I can improve general driving and towing my camping trailer. I'll do some outboard brake upgrades and some other items but right now I want to understand what engine to look for, or what complete donor truck years? So far the one I've heard about the most is the LB7?
Talk it over with @Mogman .
He has a thread about what you want to do... Even has some pricing info in that thread (see below)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did an LMM, that would be mid 07-10, The LB7 is earlier I do not think it has a VGT which is a big upgrade. bottom line they are all basically the same only some more work and more deletes are needed for the later years, physically they are all pretty much identical.
But the biggest thing that helps is get a complete donor truck so you have all the matching computers and wiring.
After saying all that do your homework as I have little experience with the later engine/trans/transfer case units.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I would like to do is try that 2.8L baby Duramax, a simple tune will get you over 230HP to the wheels, a small investment should yield 300 easy, all anyone really needs, smaller, lighter what is not to love, sorta like the almost impossible to find 4BT/turbo only I think the 2.8L has a lower profile and is lighter and much more advanced.
I have been watching the salvage sales.......

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks