• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Econotig or tigmate?

mbehne

I'll have to look at the exact model of mine tomorrow. I think it's the 165i Hobart not a tigmate?. Anyway, I don't use it much as the new shop is 3 phase 208v and this is a 240v welder so it only gets used for stainless as this uses the inverter, not straight a/c voltage. I was skeptical because all I have ever used was miller stuff but when I have taken it home it works great on the aluminum I've welded and at the shop it does a good job on sst.

mike

Last edited:

mbehne

Mine is the 165i but It does everything I have ever needed it for... Wish I would have bought a 208v machine but don't really need the ability to do aluminum very often as I have a spool gun for the mig and just use it. The few times I had to have pretty alum welds I just took it home. Are you just looking for a tig or do you want the stick/tig combo?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks for the info, I ended up getting the tigmate for 370 and traded a stick welder. It does what I wanted it to do and I feel I got it at a reasonable price. Looks like your 165 is the same thing minus the stick capability.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any TIG machine should also be able to do stick welding.

The only drawback to the smaller TIGs is welding thick AL or even thin AL that is part of a larger assembly. You can run straight helium that will give you a little extra boost if needed. I've even been told you can run DC on thicker AL to get more penetration but I've never tried it, I'd think cleaning would be a problem because the AC arc is what does most of the cleaning.

I had to push 300amps on my Miller Sycrowave to weld some 1/4" thick brackets onto a AL headache rack awhile back. That big AL headache rack acted like a big heat sink and would suck the heat out of the weld. Liked to have burned me up, even with a water cooled torch.

mbehne

I have never tried dc on aluminum, may have to try as that's probably 2/3 of what I weld but the splatter gun works great for skegs and most of the stuff we do as it gets finished anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks