• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGR

MATT

Do the 1008's have a EGR valve? We have a truck up at 10,000 ft and it has no power at all. It pours out black smoke and revs up fine. It will only go 15mph up a small hill with WOT!! I thought the EGR valve was stuck open but don't see one. Brakes arn't dragging, trans fluid doesn't smell burnt. Any ideas?

Matt

mangus580

bigtime... if your air cleaner is restricted, you might not be getting the air you need, especially in high altitude.

bassplayer88

Matt,

During my research on my current project I came across a web site on diesels and turbos and their internal workings . Diesel get their power from sucking in air, compressing it which heats the air up , and the fuel source is injected to ignite the air . If your at 10K ft. the air is going to much thinner then at sea level. The amount of air , due to the thinness of the air is going to be less, which results to less compression and less effient fuel source burn. I would say thats why you could rev WOT but no power, do to actual low cylinder compression caused by the altitude, which causes the black smoke due to lower cylinder temps . If your air clean is restricting . its only going to make the problem worse. Did you happen to notice at what altitude it started to get power back and stop smoking ? Just my thoughts everyone feel free to correct if I am mistaken ..

M35guy

It doesnt help that the 6.2, assuming thats what we're talking about isnt exactly a POWERHOUSE motor. now a Ford Powerstroke 7.3 or 6.0 motor, is a different story.

bassplayer88

A 06 F250 4x4 King Ranch 6.0l pulled my M1009 on a tandom axel car hauler for 500 miles. Average speed around 80. 90 if you weren't paying attention . Lots and lots of power ....and its stock .. add a couple of after market goodies ( Hide them so don't void warranty) and the power is awesome.

mangus580

Lets compare Apples to Apples here guys.... the 6.2 is an early 80's design!!! What kind of power did the ford engine have from that same time period? About the same as the 6.2 :)

bassplayer.... drive a dmax once... you will see the same thing :-D

MATT

Yes, we just hauled the truck in this week. I want to drive it first to compare the power at 5000ft vs 10000ft. I am waiting for the snow to clear a little. I agree and suspect that the altitude factor is the problem. Also what about high altitude injection pumps? I am not sure what injection pump is on it currently but this should matter as well. If I get the numbres off the IP, is there a way to look it up? Keep in mind this truck has a 200 gallon galvanized water tank with a fire package on it as well! Not a quick machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks