• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGT performance

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGT and Boost. Did my first run with a new to me D turbo, EGT and Boost gauge. The highest EGT was 1100ish before I backing off the throttle, highest RPM was 2450 ish, Max MPH 52, tire size 11.00-20 ,max boost seen was about 14 lbs, max load was approximately 1700lbs of cement/rubbish. Even on slight hills in 4th and 5th EGTs were near 1100, while at idle they are about 400. I do have a larger exhaust and am using the Jatonka filters, I believe the fuel was turned up by the prior owner. Also approximate altitude is between 5000-6000 ft above sea level.

I'm very new to diesel EGTs so what are y'alls thoughts on performance or if there is something wrong.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Considering you were hauling a small load, on bigger tires that adds an albeit minor load itself, and the truck still was able to maintain under 1200 you’re golden. Drive by your EGTs, you’ll quickly learn how to economize and achieve better fuel economy and just how hard you can run before getting too hot. Thankfully it’s not a magic hit 1200 or 1xxx number and poof piston melts, it’s all about how long you hold it there, ambient temperatures, air density, air filter cleanliness, etc contributing to heat soak into the piston which eventually becomes too immense.

My first truck could hit 1600 under heavy throttle almost instantly, it was also turned up to the moon... Knowing that I drove it appropriately and kept it alive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds about right to me.

My deuce has a D turbo with 11.00x20 tires. I'm at about 800' ASL. I run at 2,200 RPM which puts me at 53 MPH verified by GPS.
Uphill in 5th with about 4,000# on the truck and a 9,000# trailer, the EGT is 1,200-1,250 and about 13-14 PSI boost. EGT is about 300 at idle.

EGT's of 1,200 should be fine. I don't let mine get higher than that for very long.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds about right to me.

My deuce has a D turbo with 11.00x20 tires. I'm at about 800' ASL. I run at 2,200 RPM which puts me at 53 MPH verified by GPS.
Uphill in 5th with about 4,000# on the truck and a 9,000# trailer, the EGT is 1,200-1,250 and about 13-14 PSI boost. EGT is about 300 at idle.

EGT's of 1,200 should be fine. I don't let mine get higher than that for very long.
If it was 1250 at 2200 did you see if you increased the RPM to 2500 / 2600 did it come down? I like to see what my EGT's are when the engine is at the governor or real close to it.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was 1250 at 2200 did you see if you increased the RPM to 2500 / 2600 did it come down? I like to see what my EGT's are when the engine is at the governor or real close to it.
Not enough to know if it makes a difference, though I think higher RPM's should bring the EGT's down a bit. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I've read that redline is 2,400 RPM (some things say it's 2,600), so I'm nervous about running too close to the limit and possibly throwing a rod.

Oerthedge21

My truck sits on a set of 395s so it takes a little more to get going and hold 55, but cruising empty I can pull about 7-900 ° on flat ground. I turned the fuel down some from the previous owner, it's still turned up from stock, and my truck also has an LDS instead of an LDT, so I do make a little more power, just for reference. Pulling hills I can keep it under 1300, but it's difficult if the truck is loaded down. Otherwise, a hill with no load will see about 1200 or so if it's really steep and I keep it in 5th. Idle depends on how hot the truck is. Before shutdown I leave the truck idling for about 5 minutes and it'll cool down to about 250-260° and then I'll kill it. If I'm driving and pull up to a stop or skemthjng though it'll be up in the 3-400° until I take off again.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not say but I assume your EGT probe is pre-turbo. If so, the temps you list are in line with what I am seeing (but I am only at 250ft or so of elevation) with an LDS. Mine would boost well beyond 15 psi if I let it (I do not) and running empty on a flat stretch I see around 600-800F at speed. I keep it under 1300F . More hp always translates into more heat.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been wanting to ask for a while now. Does the governor on an LDT limit the maximum RPM of the engine? From reading different threads here it does sound like it is supposed to. I have not tested nor do I want to test it just curious to know if this was a built in protection feature.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not say but I assume your EGT probe is pre-turbo. If so, the temps you list are in line with what I am seeing (but I am only at 250ft or so of elevation) with an LDS. Mine would boost well beyond 15 psi if I let it (I do not) and running empty on a flat stretch I see around 600-800F at speed. I keep it under 1300F . More hp always translates into more heat.
Mine is pre turbo.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been wanting to ask for a while now. Does the governor on an LDT limit the maximum RPM of the engine? From reading different threads here it does sound like it is supposed to. I have not tested nor do I want to test it just curious to know if this was a built in protection feature.
Yes, there is a governor. My LDS was set by the motor pool to a governed 2500 rpm similar to the LDT instead of the 2800 the LDS allows. I am totally fine with that and left it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Oerthedge21

That is how the governor works on every diesel ever produced that I'm aware of. Unlike a gas engine where your spark starts cutting, a diesel governor will cut your fuel rate from going any higher once a certain rpm is reached. The governor system is not something unique to the multifuels

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks