• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGT temps at idle?

Hammer

Ok, I put the thermocoupler in, EGT gauge installed in the cab, and while at idle I am only getting around 200°f or so. When I rev it up, I can barely get it above 300°. And high idle of around 1200 to 1500 rpm is only around 250° or so.

That normal? Or is my gauge bad (thermocoupler probe is brand new, gauge is older, but was working ok before in my dodge).

FreightTrain

Banned
Yep,Perfect.That is why you NEVER just let a diesel idle.Burns so cold that the fuel will actually splash the cylinder walls and run down past the rings washing off the oil and finally scoring teh cylinder walls.This is why semi trucks have a little switch on the dash called Op Idle(Optimized Idling).If you plan on letting the truck idle for over 5 minutes Pull the Throttle out to around 1200RPM.Also,when you start it up on a cold morning let the oil pressure build up and after about 3 minutes give it some throttle to about 1000RPM or more to get SOME heat in it.Not gonna get much till you get it out on the road under a load.

Hammer

Yeah, I know the drill on diesels, but I wasn't ready for how COLD this one runs.
Even idling it at 1200 to 1500 rpm barely raised the temps.

This is another reason why I REALLY like having exhaust brakes. They warm the motor up faster, and are good to use for prolonged idling.
Let alone the big advantage of it being a brake ;)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
300 sounds about right. You won't see in increase untill you put a load on the engine. You shouldn't see any boost with out a load eather.

Hammer

I cranked the pump up. If I hit the throttle and let it rev to about 2200 or so, I see a little bit of boost build up.

I will be taking it for a test drive in an hour or two.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: EGT temps at idle?

FreightTrain said:
.....Not gonna get much till you get it out on the road under a load.
The multifuel engine burns only about 1 gallon/hr at idle, that keeps it from warming up also. Compare about 8 gallons/hr at 55 mph.....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: EGT temps at idle?

No David, I don't have that info, but the engine TMs have some of that data like the 9-2815-210-34-2-2.
Lee Houdel may have posted a chart going back a couple of years....

Hammer

RE: Re: RE: EGT temps at idle?

Took it out for a test run.
One mountain pass to the next valley, 5-6 miles up, then 5-6 miles down, 7% grade.
Had the pump CRANKED up for the trip over, it was cruising at 900° - 1000° and 5-6 psi boost at 54-55 mph on the flat ground.
Started the hill and it climbed to 1150° pretty fast, then slowly kept rising from there. I could easily hold 55 mph power wise on the hill, but the temps were climbing. I could actually give it more throttle if I needed the extra power, but I know better then adding too much heat.
I turned the pump down for the trip back, and the temp slowly climbed past 1200° if I left my foot in it. But I needed to keep my foot almost to the floor.
I will turn it down a little more and hopefully make another trip later this week, if I have time.

This thing does NOT like to cool down at idle very fast though. It will sit above 300° for a while at idle after it has been running.
I guess I really am spoiled with my Cummins in my dodge :(