• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric fans and shroud hmmwv

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you installed these yet? How is your temps doing if so? I'd like to replace my fan to reduce the noise and power rob if Temps are still in a good range.

Buto

Have you installed these yet? How is your temps doing if so? I'd like to replace my fan to reduce the noise and power rob if Temps are still in a good range.
We had to make a mod to the shroud but fits perfectly now.. They work great. My temp is 180 to 200. The fans are amazing. I used the temp sensor behind the alternator for the new fan temp sensor position. So for me been best thing I’ve done ,, also need 40amp 12v to run them I put in a 24v to 12v reducer and a small 12v fuse box. The fans also have a wire you can hook up a switch so they turn on full speed if you want . The sensor runs the fans at different speeds depending on temp 7F058A40-9615-4171-9AA5-358B684FCADC.jpeg9269BE71-4FDA-4CC7-B525-387F5D194B5E.jpeg7F058A40-9615-4171-9AA5-358B684FCADC.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you share how much it cost? The workmanship looks pretty good!

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had something similar on mine a couple of years ago and it really helped at slower speeds and towing but it seemed to restrict the airflow on the highway and speed. Can you keep us in the loop as to how your setup works. Thanks Eddy

Glider

Seems like if someone added similar type fans on underside of radiator without a shroud they could provide extra cooling without restricting the OE cooling setup. They could run continuously at slow speeds in tandem with OE and intermittently at road speeds. Could prevent the hydraulic from from cycling quite a bit, but still have safety net of of OE cooling capacity.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure relief flaps could be added to relieve any positive pressure in the plenum. But the stock fan is quite tame on my Detroit now that I am turning 2000 RPM on the highway with the 6L80 transmission, it can hardly be heard and it does not suck all the HP out of the engine now that it is not being twisted at 3000 RPM.
Also an aluminum radiator will cool much better requiring much less demand on the fan and I would bet that the aluminum radiator would be 50-75% cheaper than this mod.
Especially since the OP will not post what the cost is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks