• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric supercharger

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at this thing! claims to give 1PSI boost.
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

I'm very skeptical. It is very small, but not only that, I have a much larger electric vaneaxial fan that makes 250CFM@4.5" water. It takes 28VDC@25A

4.5" is only about 0.16PSI. according to this chart:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-converter-d_825.html

A 'big' unit such as the one described below for sale at Groban's only makes 6.5" H2O. I found the datasheet soemwhere and even at a light load of 450CFM it only makes about 8".

http://www.groban.com/blowers.html
2 Stage Axial Blower Fan /w DC Motor 1250 CFM
Dynamic Air Engineering 3.2 HP "Axial Flow Blower" Model No. M8862B-8B that operates on 27 Volts D.C., 117 Amps at 7000 RPM. It produces 1250 CFM @ 6.5" H-2-0 at 65 degrees F. and 8000 ft. The blower has a 3 bladed fan at each end of the unit to generate this high level of output. The unit is rated continuous and the normal rotation is clockwise facing the mounting-holes end of the blower. The inlet and outlet diameters are 9-1/2". The overall dimensions are 13" L x 10-1/2" diameter. This is a real air mover! The price is low so buy with confidence! Shipping weight is only 29 lbs. The price is $95.00 each, plus shipping.

Niether of the latter two "real fans" make enough PSI to make a difference. How does the little tiny one do anything?

So how can these people be selling this, is it for suckers to buy or do I misunderstand?

Somewhere there must be a chart for blowers blade HP vs CFM@pressure

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
definately designed to take advantage of "suckers".
You know, that first law of thermodynamics is a drag sometimes. :wink:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
haha! yeah that must be right! I looked up some stuff to see how much power is made by 450CFM at 1PSI - it's 2HP. No way that little fan could do that even if it spins 100,000RPM.

assume deuce uses 450CFM. These numbers below are for the power in the airflow (hydraulic power), not the power required by an electric motor to drive a turbine or fan. I concede the two fans I cite fans are made mainly for high volume and not pressure and are not turbines.

assume horsepower = GPM * PSI / 1714 (hydraulic horsepower)

450 ft³ = 3366.233 gallons

1 psi boost:
3366.233 * 1 / 1714 = 1.963 HP

5 psi boost:
3366.233 * 5 / 1714 = 9.8 HP

9 psi boost:
3366.233 * 9 / 1714 = 17.67 HP

I suppose this might mean the deuce turbocharger's air output to the engine is 17.67HP @ 9PSI boost? Unknown how much power it extracts to do this -depends on the efficiency of the turbo.

It might also mean the 3" diameter fan and motor is supposed to make 2hp!! I doubt that as the wire is too tiny to carry 70A+ at 12V.

So I suppose their claim is ridiculous.

jwaller

in gasoline engines we usually figure about 10hp per lb of boost in 8-1Cr engines. if you want to see what your ole deuce will feel like without a turbo just unhook the tube connecting the turbo to the intake. that is if yo have a turbo deuce. I did it on mine and WHAT a TURD. I mean it's not fast or even quick by any means but wow. it was like driving a yugo towing a 20klb boat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks