• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Winch

DampLemonade

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm getting a really good deal one of those Harbor Freight 12k Badland winches (this guy) and I want to be able to use it on my 5-ton. All the documentation only mentions running on 12 volts. I know *technically* those simple electric motors work with a range of voltages, but I don't wanna burn it out and ruin it the first time I use it on the big truck.

Problem #1 is that I don't see any 24v to 12v step-down converters that can handle the current of the winch. It's rated at 6HP @ 12v, which I think is roughly between 500-600 amps @ 12v?
Problem #2 is that I also don't want to wire it directly to one battery and steal the 12v from it, because I've read significant asymmetric loads on batteries in series wears them out faster. I have two NAPA Commercial batteries wired in series, and those suckers were expensive.

Any advice on how I could get this to work? Would running the winch on 24v really be *that* bad?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all,

Long story short, I'm getting a really good deal one of those Harbor Freight 12k Badland winches (this guy) and I want to be able to use it on my 5-ton. All the documentation only mentions running on 12 volts. I know *technically* those simple electric motors work with a range of voltages, but I don't wanna burn it out and ruin it the first time I use it on the big truck.

Problem #1 is that I don't see any 24v to 12v step-down converters that can handle the current of the winch. It's rated at 6HP @ 12v, which I think is roughly between 500-600 amps @ 12v?
Problem #2 is that I also don't want to wire it directly to one battery and steal the 12v from it, because I've read significant asymmetric loads on batteries in series wears them out faster. I have two NAPA Commercial batteries wired in series, and those suckers were expensive.

Any advice on how I could get this to work? Would running the winch on 24v really be *that* bad?
I don't think running your winch on 24v is going to be a good thing...

Thinking you would do much better with an equalizer that could / would push enough amps to run the 12v winch off of. Something like the picture below maybe?

1703193954036.jpeg

Wired up something like the picture below...
1703194038692.jpeg

DampLemonade

You might try @Suprman . I bought mine from him for about $300 (several years ago).
Noted. I might do a little more research. I did find some 24v equalizers without a 12v lug for much cheaper. In theory the end result should be the same. The winch will drain one battery quicker in this case, but the equalizer should balance things out eventually as long as I keep the engine running... In theory...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Noted. I might do a little more research. I did find some 24v equalizers without a 12v lug for much cheaper. In theory the end result should be the same. The winch will drain one battery quicker in this case, but the equalizer should balance things out eventually as long as I keep the engine running... In theory...
In theory . . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks