• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical access behind seat?

JCKnife

OK, I've searched this site for "electric passenger seat" in the Deuce forum, and I searched the term "electric" in both the -10 and -20 technical manuals. And I STILL need to ask this question:

In some of the dome light threads, people talk of patching into electrical access behind or beneath the passenger seat. All I see behind / beneath mine is the big wires running to the slave cable port. Am I missing something else?

mckeeranger

The only other thing I can think of is a radio harness. One of our trucks has the radio mount under the seat, and has power to that.

Perhaps some trucks have power for the convoy lights?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Perhaps some trucks have power for the convoy lights?
That would be my guess.....a lot of modifications allowed for patching into the wiring harness to get a hot wire.

You can always come off the batteries if you need high amp power.

Just remember to protect the wires from abrasion (deuces don't vibrate do they) wherever they pass through a piece of metal.

JCKnife

That would be my guess.....a lot of modifications allowed for patching into the wiring harness to get a hot wire.

You can always come off the batteries if you need high amp power.

Just remember to protect the wires from abrasion (deuces don't vibrate do they) wherever they pass through a piece of metal.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass my hot wire thru the slave cable grommet straight to the battery. Now I'm just looking for clean metal to ground to. I'll find something. The more challenging one will be the light I mount in the bed, er, cargo area. Whatever.

Thanks!

If you don't know the amperage of the actual load, it is a good rule to size your fuse to protect the wire. So if the wire is #12 use a 20amp fuse, #14 wire use a 15amp, etc. These would be Max fuse size. For a cargo light, I would guess that a 5amp would work just fine. If it blows, I was wrong.

Carl_in_NH

DrGreg provides good advice here. Also place the inline fuse very close to the battery positive terminal - making the shortest possible unfused wire length between the positive terminal and the fuseholder. The less unprotected wire you've got the better for safety.

I've been using the inline moulded ATO style fuse holders with the rubber overcap; weather and acid proof - which is good down in the deuce battery box. Only cost a couple bucks, and much more weather resistant than the older inline glass 3AG fuse holders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks