• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Question

ez8

I just had my generator rebuilt. Along with it I installed a new solid state regulator from VPW (the mechanical one was no good).

When I go to hook up the battery, I get a an arc when hooking up the last lead. This happens whether I hook up positive last or negative last.

Before the generator rebuild and new regulator I had a small spark when hooking up the leads, but nothing of this magnitude.

Perhaps I didn't polarize the generator correctly?

I've verified that all electrical switches are off when hooking up the battery: ignition, lights, heater fan.

What gives?

nattieleather

If you are getting a spark something is not right. Might have something in your wiring that is grounding out. (Maybe a wire that is damaged and touching the frame?) It's a PITA but check all your circuits and see if you have anything going to ground where it's not suppose to....or not going to ground where it is suppose to. Including your starter cables and your battery ground cables. Good luck.

ez8

After doing a bit of testing I suspect the rebuilt generator is the problem. I went through and unplugged everything in the charging system and was left with the generator causing the arc. I confirmed that with nothing from the charging system hooked up (i.e. regulator to battery connector unhooked) I was getting zero draw through a continuity test with my multimeter. While I wasn't getting any continuity with the generator hooked up, I was getting some draw and I suspect this is my issue. There's nothing else in the vehicle to turn on and since I'm getting zero draw with the charging system unhooked I figure there's nothing else I can turn off.

I took the generator back to the rebuilder, but they were unable to replicate the problem. They also confirmed my fear that the regulator was now toast due to all the arcing I did. Oh well, live and learn. I've got another one on the way so I'll start from square one being extra careful to try and confirm I get no draw before hooking up everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks