• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency Flasher Question - Normal Operation?

cmroles

I have a question about the Emergency Flashers in my M1009:

Brake and Turn Signals work normally under all conditions, and the flashers work as well. However, if I press the brake while the flashers are on, all 4 "flashers" go solid until the brake is released (including the turn indicators on the dash)

I checked the -10 TM and it doesn't say anything except how to turn them on and off...

I know that some '80s vehicles were actually designed to work this way, and I'm just curious if the M1009 is supposed to do that or have I found a new gremlin?

"Hazard warning lights will not work unless service lights/blackout toggle switch
is set to “SERVICE LIGHTS ON.”

a. To turn hazard warning flashers on, push in on button located on steering column just
behind steering wheel.

b. To turn hazard warning flashers off, pull out button on steering column"

Jones

Brake lights indicating you're stopping is a more important and immediate message than anything the flashers may convey.
During braking the lights are on solid to pass that warning along.
Probably just a fluke of the wiring that everything goes solid while brakes are applied.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be a standard hazard flasher knob on the side of the column.

Your's is AWOL.

The TM 9-2320-289-10 Operations manual tells you about it. You do have a copy don't you?

prairie

found it, or at least the hole where it is supposed to be.
Have looked and felt a couple of times, but never noticed the hole in the steering column before. Just assumed that CUCV's didn't have one.:oops:

jj

As long as the subject of 4-ways and turn signals has been broached, do all of your turn signals work with the ignition turned off? Just discovered mine do, and i'm not sure if they should. That is, none of my civilian buggies work this way, just the M-1009. Is this a military specific arrangement in the wiring?

mr.travo

LOL JJ! I was going to ask that too. All my CUCV's do that which is really odd to me. My '87 Ranger never did it. I guess it's just an old Chevy thing or has something to do with the military service lights switch.

cmroles

As long as the subject of 4-ways and turn signals has been broached, do all of your turn signals work with the ignition turned off? Just discovered mine do, and i'm not sure if they should. That is, none of my civilian buggies work this way, just the M-1009. Is this a military specific arrangement in the wiring?
I've noticed the same thing. I always just assumed it was a "CUCV" thing. I've had other vehicles of this vintage and don't remember that happening before.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of times I've come out to my M1009 to find the left turn signal on. Must have clipped it getting out. I thought something was odd about that. Glad is isn't only mine that does it.:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks