• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency help with dead deuce

Dwduggins

Havent owned my deuce very long, but I have had it long enough to put about 200 trouble free miles

I believe I have ran it out of fuel.

Today while driving (to go get fuel in it) two stoplights before the gas station It started to sputter. Tried making it to the gas station with no luck. Got some fuel in via can, roughly 15 gallons on top of the little that was left in the tank.

let the in tank pump run for about 20 seconds, could hear fuel circulating back into the tank. cracked filter drains (that was all I really knew to do at the time) to see that fuel was at least getting to them. After about two consective failed start attempts later I have a deuce with dead batteries on the side of the road.

Its not awful far from home, roughly 4 miles. What should I do? We have one ton trucks that would pull it home slowly but is there a safer alternative to start the truck where it sits? What are all the possible ways to jumpstart it if any? Should I have cracked an injector line until I could verify fuel to the injectors? Any advice as soon as possible is greatly appreciated,

thanks

Last edited:

sp00n

There is a fuel bleed knob on the top of the fuel filter housing. Turn the accessory lever to on position and open the knob until fuel comes out. Close the screw. As for the batteries if you have room you can pull start the truck. If that doesn't work I'd take the batteries out and charge them as you wont get far before you run low on air and wont be able to stop with the engine off.

DieselBob

with the in tank pump running are you getting a good steady stream of fuel from the filter drains ? If you open the bleeder, item #5 in the diagram are you getting a steady stream of fuel ?

Attachments

Katahdin

Sounds like there's no easy way to get jumper cables to the batteries?

Then I suggest disconnecting the batteries and remove the battery tray (recommend two people). Take that home and charge it with a 12 volt charger, one battery at a time.

Dwduggins

Thanks guys, did some reading on the site while trying to come up with a game plan, there is quite a bit of room to pull start it. The batteries did have enough charge to run the in tank pump, and I cracked the drain not the bleeder(didnt think about the bleeder on top of the fuel housing.) There was fuel coming out of the drain, not under an incredible amount of pressure but it was coming out. I only cracked the drain on the secondary/final filter unit, did not try the primary (first) filter in the line. It started sputtering and then died within half a mile, I am assuming it ran out of fuel as it was pretty close to empty ( novice mistake, yes)

I just want to do all I can to verify everything is ready to go before I attempt to pull start it. What gear should it be pull started with?

DieselBob

From TM 9-2320-361-10

Disabled vehicle:
a. Depress and hold clutch pedal.
b. Place transmission gearshift lever in 2 (SECOND) position.
c. Place transfer case shift lever in HIGH (up) position.

When vehicles reach approximately 10 mph, on disabled vehicle:
a. Turn accessory power switch to ON.
b. Push engine stop control in.
c. Slowly release clutch pedal and depress accelerator pedal slightly until
engine starts, depress clutch pedal immediately after engine starts.

Rustygears

If you ran it dry and that's the original reason it died, you might want to consider changing out the fuel filters once you get it home because they may now be full gunk sucked up from the bottom of the tank. This may also be a reason it doesn't start.

davidkroberts

you may have picked up some junk from the bottom of the tank. Dont be surprised if your filter is clogged. You have 3 filters on a A2 deuce one under the generator that is sometimes empty and the two on the engine next to the firewall. The in tank pump is pretty powerful you will get lots of flow when its running and you "shouldnt" need to crack a line. Ive never needed to. Good luck god speed and hope you get it up and running.

Dwduggins

Thank you to everyone who offered such quick help!

I went back to the truck and made sure to crack the bleeder this time on top of the secondary/final filter unit (Had previously only cracked the drain) after letting the in tank pump run for a brief moment fuel/air started to emerge and at the sign of straight fuel we closed the bleeder and we were very fortunate that the batteries had enough juice to turn it over and she fired right up.

We are home safe now, and I will be changing all filters and double checking everything, taking the batteries off and charging them fully etc.

Again thanks to everyone who offered help and at a professional level to help troubleshoot and get it back on the road.

Thanks again!

Dwduggins

It was part Mr. Murphy but also alot of Operator-Error too!

Two things Ive been reminded of after this event:

Always keep diesel tanks topped off (More than one reason for that one)

Dont panic - Slow down and think things through. I almost ran the batteries completely dead, I actually thought they were dead. After cracking the top bleeder valve and purging air from the system it started quickly and easily.

Was very thankful to be reminded of the bleeder valve on top of the fuel filter assemblies!

And again, very very thankful to everyone here who immediately pitched in with knowledge. The responses were immediate and accurate and I am very impressed to say the very least.

Thanks to all

dozer1

Good work to all who helped and OP too. The part about "dont panic. stop and think things through" we all have to remember that from time to time. It will get you far.

ODdave

Why dose everyone assume when you run a tank low your sucking more stuff off of the bottom than when it is full? It dose NOT have a foating siphon/ pickup. It is statinary and is ALWAYS sucking from the SAME spot......The Bottom.2cents

P.S., Good job OP.

dozer1

Why dose everyone assume when you run a tank low your sucking more stuff off of the bottom than when it is full? It dose NOT have a foating siphon/ pickup. It is statinary and is ALWAYS sucking from the SAME spot......The Bottom.2cents

P.S., Good job OP.
That is a good question. Got me scratchin my punkin... One theory would be that some stuff might be floating in the fuel and when you run out, it is able to get in the siphon. I doubt this really causes many plugged filters but who knows? Better theories out there?