• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency shutdown

kipman

Been helping a friend who has large mv sales, went to pull the stop cable on a deuce and it broke. Tried to use a peice of plywood to kill the air and it would not die. Then realized the fording tube is open, no problem killing the engine by stalling in 5th, but have seen on SS to use a flat something to cover the air intake in case of a runaway, that said what about the fording tube?

FreightTrain

Banned
well,if your firing a truck for the first time,REMOVE THE AIR FILTER HOUSING!The can has that nipple on the rear and the lip does not seal.You won't be able to choke it off by just covering the hole for the shroom.Gotta cover the hole in the cast aluminum peice from underneath.It does work.I tested it the other day on my deuce.1 second from when I put the board on there to when it shut down.Had to PULL the board off even after 10 seconds.Gave me the tupperwear SSSSS PLooop sound too.

littlebob

I have a fear of a runaway. I have thought abought putting a butterfly at the air cleaner between it and the mushroom operated by a cable like used for the engine stop. I noticed on mine there is a opening on the aircleaner housing that would have to be plugged.
littlebob

jim-m35a2

How often do the deuces run away. I would think if it was a big problem the military would have done something about it years ago and had the manufactures install fixes to the problem.

Jim
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited:

littlebob

I wouldn't, except I would like to use mine in parades around lots of people and would be more comfortable with an extra margin of safety. I would hate something happen and mow down a marching band or such. If I every get around to it, its way down on the list.
littlebob

bottleworks

kipman said:
Been helping a friend who has large mv sales, went to pull the stop cable on a deuce and it broke.
Being that is was just the cable that broke,
Pulling the stop rod on the I/P should have killed it.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: Emergency shutdown

Ya, put in a new cable and forget about it. Put a do not touch label on the shutdown to keep the big mitts of the breaker off it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would cover the fording tube also. That way the mushroom can be pulled if needed and shut down. If you have a runaway it will probably be after it has sat for a LONG time. If there is one you will have time before the engine decides to self ventilate. :shock:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Unless the truck is being fed fuel from an outside source (its own crankcase, for example), or unless there is a governor problem, it won't hurt itself going to full throttle in neutral.

Carbureted engines are "governed" by the amount of air fed to them - they then draw an appropriate amount of fuel - and thus can keep accelerating beyond their limits.

The Multifuel is oopposite, it's RPMs are controlled by the fuel being fed to it. and it injests the appropriate amount of air. Shutting down without the cutoff cable is just an annoyance, not a hazard. In a parade, push it in neutral.

Trucks that have been sitting may have issues with the shut off in the IP sticking. And "new purchases" have unknown factors (condition of governor, etc.) making it wise to be prepared to suffocate the engine.

The real concern would be "extra" fuel being fed the engine via flame heater, crank case oil, flammable gases in the atmosphere (ether, propane, etc.).

Lots of the ventilated crankcases seen on Multifuels are from running downhill - the truck can push the engine to RPMs beyond the governor setting - and beyond the engine's specifications.

Regards,
David

FreightTrain

Banned
well,The trucks were newer when the military had them.Now that htey are in Civy hands things change.They can sit for a month(s) and never crank.The governor will stick in a case like that.Runaways are a problem for ALL diesels not just military.From a VW rabbit to a locomotive.Normally a run away is caused by a turbo seal failure feeding crank case oil into the intake uncontrolably till the engine scatters or it runs outta oil and locks up.But 2nd most common cause is a stuck governor from sitting.3rd cause is a PVC/CDR valve allowing oil and blowby into the intake(normally a problem on Non turbo diesels).Lastly,which pretty much your screwed in this case,external fuel supply like you hit a gas line and the truck runs wild on Natural gas in which case RUN LIKE HELL cause when the engine goes your about to see a wild show if your far enough away to survive!!!!!

jim-m35a2

Wouldn't standing on the foot brake in 5th geer with the E-brake applied stop the run away faster then taking off the mushroom cap and placing a piece of plywood over the intake and fording tube?

Jim
________
How To Bake

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
Nope.At 2800RPM and dumping the clutch will usually result in one burned up clutch and flywheel.If your gear is in perfect shape it might stall it but more than likely it will just slip.

littlebob

The fear I have is from something I read years ago about about an over the road tractor that had a seal leak ion turbo that let lubricating oil pour into the intake system that fueled the runaway. Its been so long I don't remember where I saw it.
littlebob

jwaller

jim-m35a2 said:
How often do the deuces run away. I would think if it was a big problem the military would have done something about it years ago and had the manufactures install fixes to the problem.

Jim

the mil never had this problem bc they didnt sit for months on end without use. now these ppl use them 3 times a year for parades and things just dont work the way they should.

get um out and drive um...

jd-ford-hd

littlebob said:
The fear I have is from something I read years ago about about an over the road tractor that had a seal leak ion turbo that let lubricating oil pour into the intake system that fueled the runaway. Its been so long I don't remember where I saw it.
littlebob
The older two stroke Detroits are the ones to be scared of!! I have seen two run away and I owned one of them!! The mechanical "roots" type blower(the ones you see on top of all fuel dragsters) that Detroits use have seals that will blow and feed lube oil to the engine just like mentioned by others here. That is why you will see a shut off and an emergency shutoff on all equipment with these engines. The emergency pulls a trip trigger closing a flat plate across the intake passage of the blower.