• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emissions standards & imports

basmo

Hey SS, first post, great resource you've been.

I'm hoping to import a GAZ-69 or the like, and I've read a lot about the vehicles, importation etc. here and elsewhere. A couple of questions I haven't seen answered:

1) Emissions standards: how can you be sure something will pass when you import it (or can be made to pass without costing more than the shipping?). According to this if the vehicle can't pass or be made to pass, you have to get rid of it/destroy it etc. If the vehicle recently passed EU emissions inspections, would it clear ours?

2) Also if the vehicle was converted to some dual-fuel arrangement like CNG/gas, is that possible to import? CNG is very ordinary overseas but here I understand govt is very fussy about it and conversion kits are $8-10k+. I bet regulations are ****.

3) Ports receiving: One guy said he'd brought a lot in through a port in Baltimore that was great. Anyone know a more Northeastern one?

4) Other compliance crap: Anyone got stories of having to weld in a lot of reinforcing in their frame or install airbags? :naner:

Thanks..

cobra5

I believe that as long as the vehicle is over 25 years old it is exempt from the emissions and Federal Safety Standards requirement. I don't think the CNG conversion will be an issue. The best thing to do is get in touch with customs and tell them what you are trying to import. Whatever they tell you, make sure you get the reference they are quoting. This way you'll be able to research the answers and have the information available when you pickup the vehicle.

basmo

That's good news! Thanks...it would be criminal to bubba these vehicles with modern safety gizmos.

I might talk to a registered importer too. But I guess you call the customs office of the port into which the shipment would be coming, right?

USSR

Me to need contact a broker who can customs clearance demilitarized BTRs and trucks from the former USSR))

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks