• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

empty fuel filter housings

greensix

Driving home down highway after parade on monday deuce sputtered like it was starving for fuel and quit. upon checking petcock drains on filter housings they had no fuel in them. left primary drain open turned ignition/tank pump switch on fuel sprayed out and restarted ok. checked tank vent line also its clear. tank pump and tank 3 years old. any suggestions ?

Boatcarpenter

Yes, pull the in-tank pump to make sure the screen, shims etc. are all in place. Check also to make sure there is nothing in the tank that might have plugged the pump and then fallen away when you shut down. Check wiring to make sure you don't have an intermittent connection somewhere also. Not to many possibilities for the primary filter housing to go dry and then fill right up again unless the pump quit providing fuel for some reason.
BC

Westech

CPL
Maybe it quit working or sucked up some junk and stopped the impeller and when you stopped it fell off the impeller and started working again.

Once again hard to diagnose over the Web.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your not supposed to get fuel out of the petcocks unless the pump is on. I say swap in new filters. Sputtering and quitting is a sign you need new filters.

Boatcarpenter

That's probably what's going on Gimp. Seems to be the most common stumble/sputter/quit running fuel related issue. Had that issue myself big time for a while after I got my truck until I got the whole system cleaned out.
But, I tried to answer his question for what he described.

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Boatcarpenter, Westech & Gimp have it pretty much nailed down. I tend to feel that If the filters were all dry, then seemingly flowed normally, I'd suspect the fuel wasn't getting to them to begin with. My experience (limited) has been that once a filter is plugged, it's plugged. They don't heal themselves. 2cents