• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Energy to move a deuce

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time ago, I calculated that the horsepower needed to run a deuce at 50 mph was about 100, based on fuel consumption.

That would mean that the energy to move a deuce at 50 mph 500 miles is approx (currently) equal to my total monthly home energy usage.

Energy to drive my civi car at 50 mph for one hour is about equal to my daily home energy usage....

Something to think about...

Running the deuce engine to generate power with a 75kw generator would require a 20 minute run every 24 hours to provide the energy needed for my home at the moment.
...which would lead to energy storage facilities.....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My point is that the deuce or the car puts out a heck of a lot more power than needed around the house. The house requirements may only be 1 to 3 kw/hr while the deuce needs 75 kw/hr just to run on a level highway.

With the right kind of energy storage, batteries, a much smaller generator can handle the home electric load.
A 28v/100 amp generator (2,800 watts) only needs to run 20 hours a month, less than an hour a day to handle my Summer time electric bill (no air conditioning here), but it would need a sizeable battery pack to handle the peak demands....good old lead acid batteries, ultracapacitors can't store a lot of energy. Maybe 10 ea 6TLs could do the job.....
Furthermore, many things around the house could be converted to run on 110 VDC to eliminate a monstrous DC to AC 60Hz inverter.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Or you could buy land in Texas that has mineral rights and a gas well that would power everything. We had a gas electric refrigerator on our farm because the power went out so often. I for one think we should mine more coal clean it up and build more nukes. Electricity is the energy of the future as well as one that is easily adaptable to do many things. I am hoping to build a lot of neat things like you do Bjorn when I retire because uncle is keeping me too busy to build them now. lots of ideas have been stacking up over the years.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right David, let's try to stick to the original topic, I'd hate to see another thread locked up because of general energy discussions as has happened a few time before. The topic is the energy required to run a deuce/car compared to household requirements and ways to use the truck or car for home electric power generation.
The HEMTT A3 may be able to run an airport, so I bet the deuce plus a bunch of batteries can run a house. :)

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Energy to move a deuce

cranetruck said:
Right David, let's try to stick to the original topic, I'd hate to see another thread locked up because of general energy discussions as has happened a few time before. The topic is the energy required to run a deuce/car compared to household requirements and ways to use the truck or car for home electric power generation.
The HEMTT A3 may be able to run an airport, so I bet the deuce plus a bunch of batteries can run a house. :)
what about a really large flywheel attached to a generator? You could just use the pto from Deuce's winch to spool it up and maintain the specific rpm required to run the generator.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Energy to move a deuce

I like flywheels, but it may be a good idea to stay with electrical storage units so that the power doesn't have to be converted back and forth between mechanical and electrical. A flywheel is good short term storage on a moving vehicle, but not so good to store energy for hours in a stationary situation....

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Energy to move a deuce

cranetruck said:
I like flywheels, but it may be a good idea to stay with electrical storage units so that the power doesn't have to be converted back and forth between mechanical and electrical. A flywheel is good short term storage on a moving vehicle, but not so good to store energy for hours in a stationary situation....
Depends on how big, and how much energy. You would of course lose some energy from the transfer process but if you have a 20ft-Diameter flywheel at 2 tons you would probably have to only spool it up one or two times a month. Also if you want to remove some of the also associated between transferring mechanical energy to electrical energy just make the flywheel also the coil for the generator as well...

Batteries are an option but they require great attention... How about a combination or batteries, flywheel and perhaps even micro hydro-electic power.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a frend who has completely taken his home off the grid. Although he uses wind, and solar to recharge a battery pack. The also recharges his deepcycle batteries with his CUCV. He ran bat cables to the bed hooks them up and uses the truck to recharge them while driving to work. He tells me there is no difference in fuel milage in the truck so he feels he's getting free home power. To a point.

Capt.Marion

Or one could find an old hit-or-miss engine... one of the big ones that you see on the lowboy trailers at the antique engine shows... and use your deuce to pull it! (or start it)

beaubeau

One thing U all not mention is the alternate fuels for a Multifuel. If u run a generaton with Multifuel and burn Waste oil, much more economical. Then how about hooking ur heating system to the Cooling system of the Multi.,and or hooking Exhaust through a system to create heat from the Multi.!!??? There are many ways to use alternative energy. I believe it would be more efficient if all were hooked up to 3 house holds. Phil

SasquatchSanta

I read somewhere that the average 100 HP engine is actually 300 HP.

This is because while 100 HP is applied to the output shaft, 100 is lost in as a result of lost BTUs through the cooling system and another 100 lost via BTUs excaping via hot exhaust gases.

With this in mind, a deuce parked inside a building, with the exhaust system hooked into a heat exchanger would create a lot of heat while charging batteries

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Diesel's have about 50-80% percent efficiency... I bet the deuce's is running at 50% percent efficiency. If we could get it up to 80% the power would be dramatically increased over stock.