• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engaging Front Axle

MikeR

Hello fellow M37 owners. New to the forum. I bought a nicely restored M37 with trailer last summer. The PO said to not try to engage the front axle but didn't know why - just that the PO to him also said that. I spoke with the PO to my PO. He couldn't offer any reason other than to confirm and said he wished he still had the truck. This weekend I'll have a look at the front diff and T-case. Any initial thoughts on what might be "fried"? Thanks in advance. Pic included. The floor leak stain is from another rig :)image0-2.jpeg

GopherHill

Go underneath the truck and look at the f. driveshaft. Is it connected at both ends? Shake it and listen, feel for excess clunking. If all's well there, drive off pavement and engage the front axle. Try from a stop first and if no clattering or grinding, you should be good to go. Try not to drive on dry pavement in f.w.d. The axle will be hard to disengage. You will have to be on dirt to disengage.
That is from my M37 days. Your results may vary.

MikeR

Go underneath the truck and look at the f. driveshaft. Is it connected at both ends? Shake it and listen, feel for excess clunking. If all's well there, drive off pavement and engage the front axle. Try from a stop first and if no clattering or grinding, you should be good to go. Try not to drive on dry pavement in f.w.d. The axle will be hard to disengage. You will have to be on dirt to disengage.
That is from my M37 days. Your results may vary.
Thanks very much - will do.

54M37

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the truck on a slight incline, be in neutral then engage the 4-wheel drive. Truck should roll down incline. If it doesn't it means there is some problem.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get it stuck in 4WD, bump the throttle a bit whilst driving slowly and pushing the lever forward. It will pop out of 4WD.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks