• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine bay insulation

The hood and the firewall are no problem. I'm not finding inner fender insulation. Seriously considering spray foam and painting it with fire resistant paint or something. Maybe even spray bed liner on top of the foam.

As a strictly winter time way to hold some heat in there. Two days now and mine won't start. Put wool blankets over the engine, closed the hood and put a propane heater under it. Also have a block heater up against the radiator trying to warm that. Got desperate, tried either after disconnecting the blue wire, no go still. Now I have two hundred watt bulbs in the compartment, out of propane.
Little tractor wont start either, it's also diesel, but always cold blooded.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe try soaking the wool blankets with Kerosene, and place the light bulbs under the blanket. That should get it warm, by morning.:razz:

mangus580

As a strictly winter time way to hold some heat in there. Two days now and mine won't start. Put wool blankets over the engine, closed the hood and put a propane heater under it. Also have a block heater up against the radiator trying to warm that. Got desperate, tried either after disconnecting the blue wire, no go still. Now I have two hundred watt bulbs in the compartment, out of propane.
Little tractor wont start either, it's also diesel, but always cold blooded.
Why not fix the problems as to why it wont start.

First... go through the glow plug system. Make sure its all up to snuff. Wellman 070 plugs, working controller, etc.

Then, if you still have trouble, put a block heater in. Have it set to run for at least an hour prior to start.

All your trouble will go away.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be better off selling it and buying a 90's import with FI and electronic ignition, and 35 mpg. They start great in the cold weather.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you inspect and confirm correct function of the entire GP system? Are you 100% certain, with all the custom lights and gauges, sterio and such that you needed to install, that you don't have a constant battery drain, or have created a problem somewhere?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the GP system? it needs to work 100%, even if it's warm out, to start properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks