• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine block heaters

Jones

I don't remember what size exactly but there are block heaters that replace a freeze plug; like in the side of a Cummins 5.9. That would be your quickest solution. Got mine from NAPA.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a block heater and not sure if original but I found a small device on a parts truck around here that says its 2000W 220V and it's plummed into the heater lines. I'm assuming it heats and recirculates the coolant to keep everything toasty. FYI

CGarbee

One other unit to consider for engine prewarming is an oil pan immersion heater... My Cummins 4BT has a boss on the oil pan that can be removed in order to fit a heater unit. Very similar to a coolant block heater, but for heating the oil in the pan... I can pull the part number out of one of my manuals if anyone wants it...
The only starting aid (heater) that I actually have mounted on the engine right now is a fuel heater that is just before the fuel/water seperator...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell, how hot does the fuel heater get? Does it heat the fuel line and is it a standard Cummins part?
Interested in anything that warms the engine these days.:)

CGarbee

I'll have to pull the specs on it... It is a tube that has a fitting at each end for the fuel line, a clip that attaches it to one of the bolts on the engine block, and a pigtail for the power cord. Was originally hooked up to the temp gauage and only came on when it was cold when the engine was in the breadtruck, I just have it hooked up to a switch on the dash. Heats the fuel just before it goes into the filter to prevent it from icing up... It was fitted to the engine by the Cummins dealer in Long Island, NY...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, it's on a parts truck at M-Trucking where we went. I'll pull it off and bring it home. If its something you're interested in, no problem.

yeager1

For engine block heaters, the type that go in the freeze plug holes work well and are cheap. These are not generally made for specific motors, but are generic to the freeze plug diameter- just measure yours and go to NAPA or Car Quest.
I've seen and used the style that mounts inline with your radiator hose (or heater hose)at work and the also work very well. The nice thing about these is they also heat the water in the radiator- the downside to that is radiators are made to shed heat so you will use up a lot more power for the same results as a block heater. JC Whittney sells these and I'm sure NAPA can get them too.
Oil heaters are nice if you’re in a really cold place. IMO the best ones are not the ones with the rod going into the oil pan (but they do work), but rather the ones that go on the bottom of the pan (I personally like the magnetic ones) because they heat the whole oil pan/oil supply. IMO in most areas they are not that necessary because if you already have a block heater, you will be pumping the cold oil (the pump itself creates heat) into an already warm block and it will warm up fairly quick anyway, but that’s just my 2 cents.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i just picked up a block heater for my 250 thats in my 819, a total of $29 off ebay

Towerguy1

I have a KAT'S magnetic oilpan heater #1160 it's a little slow but works. Warming the oil helps the turbo too. This heater is only 300 Watts. get a bigger one if you can. or plug it in overnight.

colyork

tower guy where in central Maine are you located? The magnetic heater sounds like it might be what I was looking for where did you get it?

Towerguy1

Im in Exeter, Maine (Between Bangor and Newport) Most any auto parts store should have or can order them. I got mine from a tractor supply store. Id look for a higher wattage one. My 300w one takes a really long time to heat all that oil. Maybe a pair? These are about $50 each. I like the KATS heaters but other brands are out there.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of heating the coolant at a low point. It sets up a convection current and heats all the cooling fluid, the way I understand it.

yeager1

I for one have about a 50/50 win ratio on getting a regular frost plug to not leak the first time
I had a 50/50 ratio as well with using steel freeze plugs, then I started using only copper (or brass) plugs and have had no problems. The copper is much softer and conforms to the imperfections in the block casting much better (like a copper gasket)- the only down side is they cost 2-3x more.

Rattlehead

I tried two 200 watt magnetic oil pan heaters on my deuce, IMO they didn't do squat. Got a 1000w freeze plug block heater, made by Zerostart. FYI, the freeze plug is 2" diameter. The one I got was listed in the catalog for a Hercules 7800 or something to that effect. Was the multifuel engine used in tractors also? The directions said to put it in the rear frost plug, right side of engine. I pulled the air cleaner housing for easy access to that plug and installed it. Haven't used it yet so cannot report out on its effectiveness. But for starting, I would think this works much better than heating the oil, as the coolant surrounds the heads and cylinders where the air has to get hot enough on compression to ignite the fuel. Plus, on the multifuel, the intake manifold has coolant going through it.

Towerguy1

That sounds like a good solution. Let us know if it works well. I generally use the ones in the lower radiator hose on my other trucks and tractors, there didnt seem to be a good place on the deuce because it would rub on other parts. Dont want a suprise hole to develop! I would think 1000W would be about right.

red devils dude

Rattlehead said:
I tried two 200 watt magnetic oil pan heaters on my deuce, IMO they didn't do squat. Got a 1000w freeze plug block heater, made by Zerostart. FYI, the freeze plug is 2" diameter. The one I got was listed in the catalog for a Hercules 7800 or something to that effect. Was the multifuel engine used in tractors also? The directions said to put it in the rear frost plug, right side of engine. I pulled the air cleaner housing for easy access to that plug and installed it. Haven't used it yet so cannot report out on its effectiveness. But for starting, I would think this works much better than heating the oil, as the coolant surrounds the heads and cylinders where the air has to get hot enough on compression to ignite the fuel. Plus, on the multifuel, the intake manifold has coolant going through it.
yes they did use ldt-465's in a few model's of tractors like a white 2-135
I think and Hercules made a civvy ldt-465 model.

cten

I'm just catching up here. Are you guys talking about block heaters to heat the oil before starting the engine?

Is there anything special we need to do here in NewEngland with the cold before starting?

I'm assuming a block heater is a good thing?

What is the heater on the dash that you hold down when turning the starter over?

Does that just heat the fuel?

I just do not want to cause any damage before going out there and turning the engine over to start the truck.

I'm assuming it is not like a car where you can just go out there and push the button.

Regards,

North Eastern Massachusetts/Central New Hampshire