• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Noise

donalloy1

M1009 w/low miles sounds solid all through curve while stationary. Under load ( driving ) makes periodic metalic sounding pinging noise? Mostly noticed at freeway speeds? Does happen at lower speeds also. New to vehicle and powerplant. Does not sound normal to me. Rather not have motor scatter on me. Please help.:driver:

91W350

They have a methodical knock to them, especially cold or cool. I am not sure I would call it metallic. I will fire mine up and burn a drive away video, then upload it to YouTube. I usually drive pretty gently until the fast idle/advance kicks off. Glen

91W350

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevsvRnwvlU[/media]

If you can get by the horrible rattles from my four way tire wrench, it vibrated out from under my spare today. Glen

donalloy1

great video. thank you very much. cant tell if yours makes same noise? going to run some stanadyne additive this week. see if quiets down? only had for three weeks. still a way to go on my inspection of vessel. don...

91W350

great video. thank you very much. cant tell if yours makes same noise? going to run some stanadyne additive this week. see if quiets down? only had for three weeks. still a way to go on my inspection of vessel. don...
The other two are quieter. This one has always been a little louder...

donalloy1

added stanadyne performance formula at fuel farm this week. seems to quiet down a little. almost sounds like valve train noise. but it is not constant? thats part that baffles me. very low miles ( less than 10k ). maybe needs to be broke in?

Last edited:

donalloy1

put on rack yesterday. diffs and t-case were full and fluid clean. other than floorboard rust. been pretty uneventful so far. back brakes, ditch last old battery and start to tackle rust next on list. need a oem wheel. anyone close to me w/one for sale? 925 335 2831:)

cucvcan

Check your flexplate. Make sure its not cracked or has a loose bolt. If you can hear a loud disconcerting noise at idle and highway speed that disappears under acceleration/load than be sure to check your flexplate. It will almost sound like a chani dragging under the truck.

91W350

Hey! My M 1008 had a metallic come and go rattle and when I finally found it, I felt a little slow..... the front brace for the starter was loose where it bolted to the block. Sounded like a rattling chain. Glen

91W350

Shot you another video of the M1009 today, a Lincoln about got to meet it at a controlled intersection. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjNRQ1u3Wl4[/media]

DXTAC

I won't drive mine until it comes off high idle due to the racket it makes. Once it drops down it's fine. I wouldn't call it a metallic sound though, just loud and crabby until it warms up, kinda like me!!. My TDI VW is similar just not as loud.

I just thought of something. When I replaced the seats in my 1009 one of the bolts was too long and was hitting the exhaust mount and MAN OH MAN did that make a racket - sometimes. I replaced with a shorter bolt and now it's fine. Just a thought.

Last edited:

91W350

Driving a Lincoln, following a Hummer, and talking on her cell phone. I am betting the Chevy was looking pretty big in her peripheral vision.

My M1008 is quieter on the fast idle than that M1009 is rolling down the street in the heat. I think it must be in the timing setting on the pumps. At any rate, I kind of like that rough neck knock, I would set my M1008 there if I knew how. 8) That M1009 is excellent on fuel mileage as well. Nice rig, we enjoy it! Glen

donalloy1

great stuff fellas! now its time for me to troubleshoot vs shootin the breeze. got 19mpg on this tank around town. i think powerpack is healthy. just probably need to get out fine tooth comb and tighten her up where loose. don't care what people think. she's fully covered and strutin her stuff all over the bay area. need to name her. gotta come up with something original. dml2 sends...

Barrman

The flywheel on automatic transmission engines are called flex plates. Because they do flex.

I replied a few post up a week or so ago to check the vacuum line for the transmission. I had zip tied mine to the filler tube because for the last 3 months every now and then. I would get a metalic ping when starting from a stop and hitting the fuel enough to pull out in traffic. It wasn't every time, just normally from a stop to high torque applied.

I was convinced the problem was related to the belts, pulleys or cooling fan since it sounded like it was from the front of the engine and the ends of the fan blades had gotten scrapped up sometime in the past 25 years. I just lived with it.

Monday, my starter died. I installed the rebuild last night. This was my first time pulling the splash gaurd under the flex plate for this truck. Everything looked fine and from reading things on here. I put a wrench on the 3 converter bolts on the bottom. All 3 were tight, the flywheel had no cracks and the rear main seal while moist, wasn't really wet. I left the heat sheild for the starter on and put everything back together last night. Fired it up with the cover off and no noises, great increase is starting speed. My starter had burned up the brushes, worn out all 3 bushings and was needing help.

I buttoned everything back up, loaded up Colton and the dog for a test drive. I love the new starter firing the engine up before I can think to turn off the key. Put it in gear and we had a constant knock. Put it back in park and the noise was gone. I put on the parking brake, had Colton hold the service brake and put it in gear. I crawled under neath and isolated the splash gaurd for the flex plate. Everything got turned off, I loosened the 6 bolts, moved the gaurd around some and tightened them back up. Noise gone.

We went for a drive and the noise came back anytime I pushed the throttle at any speed. I don't fancy burning my elbows, so I parked it last night, came inside and got on SS. Searched for threads like this and narrowed it down to the heat shield for the starter or a bent splash gaurd.

I went out this morning to pull the splash gaurd and look at the heat shield. When the splash gaurd came down, a nice circular shiny wear mark was evident. Back to the wrench on the converter bolts. 5 were tight. The 6th was about 2 full turns loose. Got it tight, buttoned everything back up and the noise is gone. Just drove the truck in town and on the highway for about 20 miles. No noise.

I know I wrote a lot to tell you to check the converter to flex plate bolts. However, I did check them. 3 of them. Check all 6 and look for cracks on the flexplate.

donalloy1

barrman, really appreciate all the information. sounds like a weekend project. hoping to hit junk yard today for accessories. donallloy sends... :)