• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil leak possibilities.

Banshee365

Hey guy's, it seems the oil leak on the side of my engine is getting worse. At first I thought it's the head gasket. If it were leaking would there be coolant in the oil for sure if the oil was leaking down the block? I'm going to get the next oil change analyzed to check for that and other things. It's oily between the front of the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold above the head gasket. Could this be because the oil is soaking above the head gasket a little or is it probably from above? I was thinking maybe a valve cover gasket which you can't see with all the stuff on the passangers side of the engine. I need to take a pic and I'll post it but what do you guy's think? I know someday I'll be doing the heads but I was hoping it wouldn't be for a little while.

-Kelly

devilman96

Head gaskets leak oil as do valve gaskets, head gaskets almost always leak from the ends of the head due to warpage... Re torque your studs and see if it helps.

Also keep in mind there are leaks... and then there are LEAKS... most everyone has leaks and its not a huge worry.

Banshee365

I don't see with my eye close to oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Maybe an oil analysis will back that up. There isn't any leaking from the ends of the heads, it seems to be right from the middle, so that makes me think valve covers.

I know leaks are normal but this just seems to be getting worse, or maybe it's because I'm driving it more. I havn't noticed a hair drop on the dipstick but I'll keep and eye on it.

-Kelly

rdixiemiller

If it is not leaking some oil, then you have run out. These engines tend to be externally lubricated. Mine leaks enough to keep the engine messy, but it has only used 2 qts. in 3000 miles. I wouldn't sweat it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is leaking oil at the front of the #1 head. The gasket is blown, it's been spitting at the groove under # 1 exhaust port for 5 months or so. After I put hoses on it,I steamed it off. Now there is so much oil on the exhaust side and front that it's running down the block, across the pan rail and down the flywheel housing. I am also noticing oil starting to leak at the fuel pump side of the #1 head too. I just bought an overhaul gasket set with new style gaskets from e-bay, $150 + 12 shipping. That's why I asked about head nut wrenches. It's time.

sermis

WillWagner said:
Now there is so much oil on the exhaust side and front that it's running down the block, across the pan rail and down the flywheel housing.
Right now I don't think mine will ever rust due to so much oil. The front axel is black. When you stop and idel it drips onto the ground Only uses about 1 quart per 1,000 to 1,500 miles. It needs gaskets but really does not seam to be geting worse.

Banshee365

Here are 2 pictures of my oil leak. I've been driving it a little more so maybe that's why it's leaking alot more. I think the time to do the heads is nearing. The oil just seems to be weeping up the block a little from the gasket because above that appears dry. What do you guy's think? Time to do the heads?

-Kelly

Attachments

devilman96

I say personal choice... LDT typical... Its doesn't look bad enough to cause problems with loosing to much oil so it would be a personal choice of... Do you care if you have a leak or not? (Personally leaks annoy the snot out of me and Im forever changing parts as I find them)... Its not a functional issue, its my anal retentive way of thinking.

If you decided to do the heads be sure you have them shaved, their warped from age and this will buy you longevity in resealing.

sermis

WOW that's it. I'll swap motors with you. Just watch the oil level so it does not drop.
My oil psi runs around 55 so I have never worried about it much but it is getting worse on the leaks. Summer project to fix it.

houdel

I'd just powerwash occasionally when you go to town. Mine leaks about the same, in the identical location. The deuce head gaskets have some sort of weep holes in the gasket leading from near the fire ring out to the edge of the gasket on that side. Supposedly there to allow condensed coolant to escape, but seems to work well for oil too.

I wouldn't retorque the head gaskets unless you know they were never retorqued since originally installed. Repeated retorquing will crush the fire rings and you will have a much bigger problem than a minor oil leak! One, and only one, retorque is specified in the TMs after several hours of operation following a head gasket replacement.

red devils dude

houdel said:
Yeah, a weekend job if you own a fully equipped HD truck service shop!
I did mine outside by myself in about 4-5 hours and did a near by farmer's in about the same amount of time not including the week it took to have the heads machined.