• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Question

SasquatchSanta

Yes --- it's a multi LDS-465-1A. They are common in 5-Tons.

They are basically the same engine as the LDT-465-D (deuce engine) except they have different oil cooled pistons, different timeing, turned up pump and "maybe" a different cam. The LDS - 1A generates 175 HP versus the duece LDT C or D engines 130 HP.

Early model LDS-1As had a larger waste gate turbo but later (more commonly) they use the same D turbo that is used on the deuce LDT engine.

grobinson2

SasquatchSanta,
Thanks for the info. Since they do not have the power of the cummins are they slow and under powered? Can you put the LDS-465-1A and put it into a M35A2?

Thanks,
Glenn

jasonjc

The M39A2 series 5 Ton had the LDS-465-1A's. Trucks like the M51A2, M55A2 ect are the M39A2 series. Then you have the M809 series 5 ton truck M818, M817, ect. These have the cummins NHC-250. Then the M939 series 5 tons have the cummins also. The M939 and M939A1 have the same NHC-250 and the M939A2 have a 6CTA8.3.

BMS07

Is the 250 cummins in the 809 series the same engine as the 939 series?
Is there any improvements in the NHC 250 between the two series?
Thanks Brad

jasonjc

Re: RE: Engine Question

BMS07 said:
Is the 250 cummins in the 809 series the same engine as the 939 series?
Is there any improvements in the NHC 250 between the two series?
Thanks Brad
Same until the M939A2 came a long.

HeadWizard

My butt was physically sitting in the seat of this truck TODAY. It was one that I previewed. Be happy to talk about it via PM.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT in the market right now - wife said 6 Deuces in addition to the 7 civvy vehicles was enough for right now.As I said in another post, I looked at almost all the trucks at Mechanicsburg either today or last Thursday.

Don

madsam

One thought on whether this engine is as powerful as the cumins. With a turbo this engine will probably be less affected by altitude. My 250 cumins has maybe 150hp at 10,000 feet. Where with a turbo, maybe this has 150 also at 10k feet. So I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

devilman96

FYI on the Cummins v/s the LDS...

I’ve had the opportunity to speak to several of the guys around the country whom build the gun truck replicas we see pics of here occasionally. All but one of them run the LDS and prefer them over the Cummins engines for the simple reason of top end speed.

The one truck with the Cummins is the “Black Widow” owned by Ron whom lives here in FL. During our last conversation he was in the process of installing a OD box in his Cummins powered chasis so that he could hold the 80+ mph highways speeds of the other guys with LDS’s as they travel around from show to show…

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
question-- how do thay get a m54a2 to go 80 mph when top speed is about 56 mph stock. i dont think my heart could stand 80 mph in a older mv

devilman96

M54 at 80mph... Another plus to the LDS (or LDT for that matter) you can bolt an automatic transmission right up to them, which is exactly what they do for the top end speed...

80 isnt bad in a MV... Though I generally run it around 75 MPH; my deuce tops out at 86 with the stock drive train and 15.5 tires. With the exception of bad road conditions or construction it hangs in there just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks