• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shuts off

joeyaguirre21

Hey guys, hope y'all can help me out. But i got my CUCV up and going and driving it once in a while. But the bad thing is, it shuts off once in a while like if I'm at a stop it'll just turn off. But it'll crank and start right up after. Or sometimes it'll crank a while til it starts. Any ideas ??

Barrman

Try hitting the throttle with it at idle and letting off right away. Just a quick stab and release. It will probably die. Same with holding an rpm around 1500-2000 and letting off in a hurry. Pretty much play with it and you will probably find a way you can repeatedly make it die. Those are signs of an IP that needs fixing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When is the last time you drained water out of the filter or changed the filter?

Edit, if the IP is going out, it starts happening once it gets warm.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you done, if anything, to the fuel system ?
Have you added any fuel additive to help clean things?
Fuel sock ?
Fuel filter ?
Air filter ?
mice nest in air cleaner?
As already mentioned, when was last time you drained the water from filter base?
Original injectors or have they been replaced. If so by what?

You mention its driven "every once in a while". What does that mean?
Have you downloaded and read the TMs?
Read the old threads also. This symptom has been discussed many times.

Need more information and pics if possible.
Guys here are wizards with these trucks

The IP is the most expensive and biggest pain to replace.

I would eliminate as much as possible.

Last edited:

joeyaguirre21

I'll start by, I purchased it in may of this year and little by little fixing and checking everything to get it running and drivable. So I did a PM, change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, changed transmission gasket due to leak, changed air filter. Would I still have to drain water from fuel since I changed the filter? Everything looks and seems to be stock to me since an older gentlemen had it and its very well kept. So i just changed the transmission modulator and adjusted it to right depth since the previous one was screwed in all the way and shifting rough, well got the new one in and adjusted right where its shifting better than before and actually has not died on me shild driving, thankfully. Could that have been it?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would change the fuel filter again and also do the water drain per the TM.
Filter is cheap and needed if you do not know the condition of the inside of the tank.
Get some fuel additive to help absorb any water.
I would also add some two cycle oil to the fuel. About 1 quart per tankful. Makes everything run smoother and is designed to be burned.

Having it sitting a lot doesn't help.

When I bought my first CUCV, it was in my shop for a month getting lots of new parts and every single rubber hose and line was replaced.
The list of things done to it is extensive, but the point is, 1 year and 9000 miles later, it still runs like new and starts every time.

A lot of guys rush to get their cucv on the road asap. Sometimes that cant be helped, but when its rushed they have problems later.

Drive it around for a few hours to get it nice and hot.

See what what it does then

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to check the wire going to the fuel solenoid on the IP for any bare spots that might rub from time to time a short out the solenoid .

joeyaguirre21

Tinstar I checked my tank a couple months ago and it looked good. I probably will change the fuel filter again just in case. I was able to get my CUCV up to par. What else do you recommend on replacing? I do need to change my belts, probably one more rubber hose for the fuel. I bought a CDR which I will replace when I recieve it. I won't let it sit more than a week or so, because I will take it out once a week just to move it and not let it sit to long. So putting 2 cycle oil is fine?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tinstar I checked my tank a couple months ago and it looked good. I probably will change the fuel filter again just in case. I was able to get my CUCV up to par. What else do you recommend on replacing? I do need to change my belts, probably one more rubber hose for the fuel. I bought a CDR which I will replace when I recieve it. I won't let it sit more than a week or so, because I will take it out once a week just to move it and not let it sit to long. So putting 2 cycle oil is fine?
Two-cycle oil is just fine.
Lubes the IP and injectors and will quiet it down.

Every piece of rubber needs to be replaced. If you replaced some, you need to do the rest. It will save you a lot of headache later. It's an old truck and the rubber gets hard and cracks (leaks) over time.
Fuel (even behind the heat shield under truck)
Vacuum
Coolant

I would check tank again to see if you have any water since last time you looked.

It still could be the IP.
Plenty of threads on what it does when it starts to go.
It's either a slow death or all at once.

Keep trucking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks