• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Stalled while driving- now it won't start, turns over but no fuel\fire

Guys\Girls,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, I'm looking for a starting point in troubleshooting.

I have a 1986 M1009 with the original 6.2L Diesel. Odometer shows just over 24K miles. Previous owner swears its accurate.

Anyway, I bought it around 6 months ago, I have put just over 3000 miles on it since I purchased it, and it has run perfectly until the other day, I was taking it on an "exercise" to the grocery store. The engine stalled in the parking lot. I was able to get it restarted by holding the gas pedal to the floor, it eventually sputtered to life and I was able to get it parked. After coming out of the store I tried to restart it, the engine would turn over but it would not fire. I held the gas pedal to the floor and it almost started but never did, its like its not getting fuel. The fuel level in the tank is full. After the tow truck moved it I noticed a very small puddle of diesel on the ground, assuming it is where I held the pedal to the floor while trying to crank it. I think its a problem with fuel delivery, however I do not know if the glow plugs have ever been changed either. It ran fine with no symptoms about a two weeks prior to this incident. It had been sitting for about two weeks in the driveway, this was its first drive since that time.

Any ideas where to start, fuel filter, glow plugs?

The previous owner had nearly fully restored the vehicle. When I purchased it everything seemed in excellent shape. I even drove it from FL to TX after the purchase. What other info can I give ya? Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

I am not an expert by any means--is it possible water is in the fuel? I have heard it may collect in the bottom of the tank and sometimes get sucked into the pump. is that something you can check?

dmetalmiki

Just start with the basic things (like) (1) check the filter, it might well be clogged. Unlikely the heater plugs would go out that quick. (2) could be the heater relay. On reflection, I would go for the filter before I did anything else. (as) It was running ok until it (slowed down?) stopped. Keep us informed of the actual cause and the remedy.

Just start with the basic things (like) (1) check the filter, it might well be clogged. Unlikely the heater plugs would go out that quick. (2) could be the heater relay. On reflection, I would go for the filter before I did anything else. (as) It was running ok until it (slowed down?) stopped. Keep us informed of the actual cause and the remedy.

I'll try to dig into this weekend. Its been so hot lately its like working in a big convection oven out there. There was no indication or any slow down, just sorta all of a sudden. I'll try the fuel filter first. I should be able to see if I'm getting fuel to and past the filter. Let the fun begin.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find the source of that Diesel leak. If Diesel can leak out, air can leak in, and that can kill the engine when it's running and drawing fuel under vacuum. You might find something as simple as a loose fuel line fitting letting air in.

Find the source of that Diesel leak. If Diesel can leak out, air can leak in, and that can kill the engine when it's running and drawing fuel under vacuum. You might find something as simple as a loose fuel line fitting letting air in.
OK fellas, bringing this post back to life... It finally cooled off enough outside for me to investigate the leak. Here's what I found:

It appears to be leaking from the rubber fuel line on the bottom of the fuel pump. The rubber line looks to be a fitted line with a series of bends in it. The solid metal hard line coming into it appears to be dry. Could it be the pump housing itself leaking and just dripping down on the rubber line? Its hard to tell, that thing is in an impossible place to work on, but when wiggling the rubber line, the leak appears to get worse.

While searching for the leak I found what appeared to be a disconnected line. When tracing it back, it comes out of the bottom of the square box fuel filter. Is this a water drain?

OK so options? Do they make a factory replacement rubber line? Should I replace the fuel pump at the same time? Should I supplement the factory mechanical pump with an electric? Should I ditch the mechanical and bypass it? Looking for easiest install, that fuel pump looks to be in an impossible work-on location.

Any ideas\suggestions? I did purchase a Stanadyne spin on conversion kit. But I'm going to fix what's broken first before introducing new leaks :).

Thanks in advance!

CUCVLOVER

If the bad spot in the line is right that lift pump you might be able to cut off the bad part then reattach the line. If all is well then you have found the problem. I had a loose hose cause the same problem.

Also you might want to have this thread moved to the cucv section, it might help you get more response.
Hope this helps

Jeepsinker

Just replace the whole piece of hose with a new piece of rubber fuel hose. The bends aren't necessary, just use zip ties to route it away from anything you don't want it touching.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks