• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap for M715

AlaskanSeeBee

I know I could put a 6br or any SB Chevy motor into my Kaiser but I am more looking for a multi fuel engine that would fit. Any thoughts or input is way welcome

Barrman

Any diesel is in theory a multifuel. The gm 6.2/6.5, ford 6.9/7.3 and early Cummins BT engines with the VE pump all had rotary injection pumps. They like diesel and only diesel or the pumps will fail in some cases. Especially if gasoline is mixed in. That covers feeding engines that will easily fit in a M715.

All of of the above listed engines can burn various ratios of oil mixed with diesel. Based on driver reports on this web site and others. 30%-50% have worked. However, one cold morning start up with thick oil in the tank could snap the IP drive shaft.

Even with small amounts of oil mixed in regularly. IP and injector failure is more likely.

The multifuel in the M35 trucks and 5 tons has pistons unique to that engine. They are the real genius along with the swirling of the fuel by the injectors behind the multifuel design. These engines will not fit in a M715 though.

Is this what you were wanting to know?

Csm Davis

I know I could put a 6br or any SB Chevy motor into my Kaiser but I am more looking for a multi fuel engine that would fit. Any thoughts or input is way welcome
You could possibly shoehorn one in out of a M35 or 5 ton, I would use a LDS out of a 5 ton, it is same size on the outside but more horsepower and use the M35 nonoverdrive transmission because it is smaller than the 5 ton transmission. This not a good way to be OPEC independent in your part of the world keep your gas engine and look at making alcohol, or methane, and if you really want off grid wood gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

For a modernization and still having options, why not get a take-out Flexfuel GM LS series. Will run on anything from 100% gasoline to 85% ethanol - 15% gasoline. With a 4L65 or 4L80 behind it you have the most up to date combo out there. ( Hint - it'll run on 100% ethanol but the gasoline is added to make the flames visible if there is a spill fire since pure alky burns almost invisibly in daylight )

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

in korea ROK used higher reving jap diesels in theirs like Isuzu engines. they fit well and preformed well for being na engines, with forced induction being the standard on modern diesels I would imagine the performance would be stunning even if the engine came from overseas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks