• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap Options

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK gang,at the risk of a serious flaming, I'm going to ask a question. Does anybody know if there is a way to adapt the Chevy bellhousing pattern to the Chrysler 727. Seems that some of the hotrodders have done this in the past. I've checked Advance Adapters catalog but nothing like a bellhousing adapter shows up. At the risk of a second flaming, I'm considering the 6.2 diesel for my M887. If all else fails or if cost is too high, I'll just swap out the engine, trans and transfer.

McGuyver

Sorry, I don't have any info for you on either of those two questions, however I do happen to know that you can swap a 5.9 liter cummins and an NV4500 manual five speed tranny (if you use a cummins from a `94-`98 Dodge) into that truck farely easy. You can use factory motor mount brackets and core support (for the intercooler) from a `90-`93 Dodge Cummins. I'm told that you can even keep the original NP203 transfer case (splines on the 4500 are correct count and length) You will have to redrill bolt pattern on the 203, but this is said to be no problem as the 203 has plenty of meat in that area to take new drilled and tapped holes. Anyway, there are other options where you can "stay in the family" of Mopar. The above swap is actual a plan I have for the future.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now see, I've heard that swap works but puts alot of weight on the front axle. In actuality, I would like to drop in a 4BT. I think it would have plenty of power for the application and would be another simple swap. I think the 4BT can be adapted to the 727. Costs of doing the 4BT keeps me from it. I need to check with the Avants at Diesel Depot in GA to check the costs.

McGuyver

You are right about the weight issue. The 5.9 liter Cummins used in the Dodge trucks weighs in somewhere around 960(?) lbs whereas the equivalent displacement gasoline engine is down around 540 lbs. So yeah, the diesel is a bit heavier. This can easily be remedied by going with stiffer springs up front, maybe an add-a-leaf alone would do the job. Some people say that it is also advisable to swap out the Dana 44 in favor of a Dana 60 front axle in order to handle the addtional torque from the Cummins. That's probably something worth considering as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks