• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap questions

JD730

I am currently in the process of swapping the gas 331 cu. in. engine out and I'm going to put a LD465 in its place. The LD465 is coming out of a donor truck that someone already butchered. They made it into a single axle and removed the front drive shaft and diff.

The receiving truck is a M108. I'm keeping the transmission hooked to the LD465 and swapping whatever other parts I need.

Are there any issues I should be aware of? Clearance, fitment, rejection of the transplant, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

mangus580

Clinto, how did you find that? The search feature??? :-D

It is amazing to see another M108 come out of the woodwork though!!!

JD730

Thanks Clinto that link is very helpful. I didn't know that the rear mount had to be changed.

Does anybody think I should take the fenders off too? Or can I leave them on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with pulling the fenders off. It's not a particularly difficult swap but does require some time to complete everything. Having the parts truck will help boatloads. I think I've chronicled most of the odd changes along the way but I'm here on a daily basis if you run into any snags. When possible, post some pics of the M108. Nice to see another one survive.

JD730

I'll have to scan some pics of it in from when we used it to set trusses when we built our garage, with the extension installed we had a 30ft. vertical reach. Worked very nicely.

I'll have to give my photographer a kick in the butt and get them to take some pics while we're working on it.

JD730

Ok, here's a pic or two, hopefully it'll work. I'd like to post a bunch, but I haven't figured out the photo gallery yet. Next step is to tear the doner apart.

Another thought for you guys, the front tandem rear is bad, I think the spiders are shattered. Any thoughts on how to change it. It doesn't look like a fun job.

Attachments

houdel

Those pumpkins are a bitch, seem to recall they weigh in at several hundred pounds each. It it were a Deuce I'd say pull the bed off and use an engine hoist to get them out. On a wrecker it is going to be tough. You'll need some sort of low profile hoist to to get underneath the truck bed and lift the pumpkin out.

Towman2277

rmgill said:
Probably easier to drop both axles and roll them out as a unit to change out the pumpkin.
A friend of mine just undone the suspension on his five-ton, had me lift the rear w/ a wrecker, and rolled them out! Easiest and safest way to go..... a heavy pumpkin coming off some home-rigged lift under the truck would be BAD!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to side on removing the tandems as a unit. If it were the aft one, it would be easy but the front one will be an SOB in the truck. Looks like you're making good progress on the thing. I stripped every single wire off mine and am using a new harness from the M35A2 with a few circuits added for the brake lock and floods. Right now it has a temp harness on it until I change the cab here shortly. Keep the pics coming, I'll enjoy watching someone else take on the task.

JD730

houdel, I know they are heavy, I have the replacement sitting inside on a shelf. Dense little unit.

Had it been the rear pumpkin it would have been replaced already. Right now I want to get the other truck stripped and the multifuel set in this one. I'm not too concerned about wiring just yet, we're getting ready to build a pole building and need something to set the trusses. We could do it with a backhoe with an extension, but thats a real pain plus it ties the backhoe up from doing other things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks