• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine swap

Wyattearp

Well i started yesterday with swapping out the busted engine i have with the one i got from Bjorn, just minor stuff to get started on pulling the old engine out, front radiator grill, disconnected some of the intake pipes and next step to pull the Radiator out.
Does anyone have the Tm's for this as im guessing the bottom bolts for the radiator are the two with the springs on the front frame rail as it needs some work on it. Since the swap is from a ld 465 to an ldt 465 if i switch injector pumps will i have to advance the timing or can i just bolt the injection pump back on the ldt engine from mine as im not sure if the one on the ldt engine is working :banghead: had a thought i could do that after i do the swap to see if its working or not, there i am answering my own question LOL...

I have a multifuel book that i got from Memphis equipment so i have all the engine details, but i know if i get in a spot i know where to come to for answers.

If anyone has suggestions or has done a engine swap let me know as i know it will be helpful to me in this, i took pictures yesterday but unfortunatly i have no digital camera.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I pull my engines, I pull the the whole powerpack as a unit including the radiator. Your LDT doesn't have an injection pump on it? Bjorn has fooled with the pump timing when he turboed his engine, he might be better help. Timing will have to be adjusted. I forget if the -20 or -34 has the engine removal procedure. Both are available on logsa. DOwnload them and print the section and take it outside with you. The powerpack is heavy but not particularly difficult to remove and install. Take your time and mark items and it will be fun. Be a great learning experience.

Wyattearp

Thanks recovery, i appreciate the info, When you say power pak your refering to engine radiator and tranny i assume. Yeah this for sure will be a learning experience, actually thinking about it i may not have to mess with the pump if the one thats on the ldt engine is working, I still need to either get another turbo or a kit as it has shaft play, Would a turbo from any other big diesel mate up and work?(curious on that one).....
I will go to that site and download all i need and once again thanks for the info...

The engine i got from Bjorn has the fuel pump but i was looking there are a couple of bolts loose so i was sort of thinking it might now be working but i will worry about that after getting all the other stuff transfered over from my busted block engine. Is there an easy way to fab up a engine stand? Or i may just strip it then pull it, and i have plenty of masking tape and stuff to mark parts with..

:hop: fun fun fun....(weather breaks just in time for me to go back to work) :mad:

MVtrucker

I'll answer your question to Kenny. As stated above, the power pak comes out as a unit including the radiator. Since the radiator is somewhat fragile, I remove it, then the motor. The mass of weight when pulling the pak could get to swinging into something and damage the radiator. Extra work, but worth it it to me. I usually work alone and don't have someone to keep the pak steady am seated on my wrecker when I do the job.
Yes, the bolts with springs are the lower radiator mounts. There should be a couple of pads in there, too, ne on each side under the radiator.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would mark everything and pull the powerpack out. Once its out you can easily remove the radiator and trans. You can sit the engine on a 4x4 (front engine mount) and a series of 4x4s or 6x6s on the mounting ears one each side rear engine. As far as turbos, they are unique to the multifuels. SOme of the 5 tons are wastegated but the 2 deuce turbos aren't. You can start your can engine without a turbo but it will smoke. I would put only enough on the can engine to start it in the can. Once it sounds like it's sound, go ahead and start moving parts. Just don't get in a hurry. Most of the manuals don't make much sense until you are out there wrenching, then you figure it out. Ask all that you need to during the swap!

rdixiemiller

Go back a page to the "Pulling Engine" thread. I posted the TM# and page on pulling the powerpack. If you don't have high speed internet, send me your snail mail address and i will get a CD manual burned and on the way to you. I am getting ready to do an engine swap myself in a few weeks, pulling a turbo engine, and swapping the turbo over to an LD465, then installing it.
Probably changing head gaskets as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks