• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine wear above 55 mph (3000+ rpm)

erasedhammer

What kind of engine life/engine wear do you run into when running a humvee above the maximum sustainable rpm (2850)?

For example, what kind of damage is done if I drive at like 62 mph for 30 minutes?

erasedhammer

i drove mine with 6.2 and 3 speed trans 60-65 wih no problems. It didnt have a tach. both with 36" and 37" tires.
How long were you driving at 60 with the 37s? ive always kept my speed below 55 with my 6.2 3 speed for fear of breaking something on the freeway.

beckel

I can tell you from personal experience that prolonged driving at 55 mph can be catastrophic. My 6.2L / 3L80 snapped a rod after one year of trips at 55 mph. This is by no means scientific but that engine is screaming at 55. The good news is...its a great excuse to upgrade to a 6.5L/4L80. :)

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My buddy ran one at 65mph for many hours. He had his truck for at least a year (before it was blow up by the other people).

Keep in mind the people that were driving these trucks before us "collectors" acquired them. They were 18-23yo men that had no one watching their driving habits. Not exactly what I would call ideal conditions for a used car.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of engine life/engine wear do you run into when running a humvee above the maximum sustainable rpm (2850)?

For example, what kind of damage is done if I drive at like 62 mph for 30 minutes?
I have a 6.2L with 3sp and have driven roughly 400 highway miles this summer going 60-65 with no issues. Even after going through the truck after I couldn't find anything to be concerned with. I do however now try to keep it around 55-60 mph for sanity and my eardrums sake. I get more concerned with it in bumper to bumper traffic. Plus if I'm driving it I'm usually not in a rush to go somewhere so no need to push it. If I am in a rush that's that the S6 is for.