• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether injection

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
During our visit to Aberdeen, Bruce Kubu handed me a take-out ether starting aid kit. Many thanks, Bruce! I haven't done much with it besides just looking at it where it sits on the workbench. Eventually, I'd like to install it and if any of you have any experience with it, could you respond, please.
Also, where are the parts installed on the deuce (as per the military)?

I havn't given up completely on the flame heater system, but it needs a more intense igniter to work well, at least on the turbo units.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I'll take pics of mine this afternoon and post them for you. Mine has exactly what you're looking for. I'll try to get pics under the dash too to help.

mangus580

Sounds like a good idea... but I have another question. How many people have had their trucks NOT start without the flame heater? My flame heater doesnt work, and there has only bee on time where my truck wouldnt start. and that was less than a week after I got it, and didnt know it real well (and it was damn cold). Even this past winter when it got down in the sub-zero's and it had been sitting a couple weeks, it fired up. Am I missing something?

Desert Rat

No Mike you're not. These ether kits are an alternative to the flame heater kits. MAN, the original engineers of the multi., designed them for winter use in mind. Remember, the Russians spanked the Germans horribly in the winter of '44. Much of the problem with German equipment was the inability to start it up in Siberian winters. MAN intentionally designed these engines to start in some bitter cold conditions. The flame heaters and ether kits are just an insurance policy to insure start-ups.

mangus580

Ok... I was just suprised that Cranetruck would need such a thing down there in the 'tropics' where he lives.... :yeah: After all, if I dont need it here in the arctic tundra of western ny... [:)]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's true, that cold weather starting aids are not really needed here, although at our elevation of 3,000 ft it can drop to 20 below on occasion.

But I like options.

With a fully charged, well maintained battery, the deuce will start without much problem down to 10 F at least.

If it's REALLY cold, start and run the engine 15-20 minutes every 4 hours or so around the clock. It will start right up each time without aids.

Robert, you are right about the flame heater nozzle leaking fuel. I have tried several nozzles and one of them leaked fuel into the intake manifold, it showed up in the boost gauge tubing, which was clear.

Thanks for the pictures!

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
Here's the pics. I promised. I have inside shots of the dash as well. Hopefully this will give you an idea of how these are set up.
There is a box on the inside you'll need if you don't have it. I had a bad angle on one of the pics.. Sorry about that. I hope these help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, your buddy in AL has a bunch of stuff doesn't he? I might have to do some window shopping.

rdixiemiller

Kenny
That he does. He is clearing out all the deuce stuff so he can get to work on his WW2 command car.

The towbars went over my limit, especially with $100 shipping. I'll just finish building mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks