• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether vs. Liquid Wrench?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 is hard starting when it is cold, I don't like ether starter fluids even on small engines. But from what I am reading some folks swear by Liquid Wrench Silicone spray saying it will not harm the engine any experiences, I need some type of safe alternative to ether.

Nonotagain

My local Advance Auto Parts store sells starting fluid with an oil additive.

If you are going to use something like Liquid Wrench, you might be better off using WD-40 since it's not as thin and will lugbricate the cylinder walls in addition to being very flammable.

You can also purchase engine fogger intended for long tern storage of marine engines.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I have read the flammability of ether is the problem in diesel engines creating too much force through combustion. I already add outboard motor oil to help with lubricity, I need something to give that little boost on cold starts with out the explosion of ether.

Nonotagain

Ether is a lot more explosive than Liquid Wrench or WD-40. I'm guessing that the detonation of the fluid isn't nearly as violent as ether.

I used ether, hair spray and WD-40 in my potato gun and the ether was the most explosive of the three products.

I had no flame out of the barrel from ether, just a slight blue/yellow flame from the hair spray and a three foot long trail from the WD-40.

ralbelt

I keep a can of silicone spray in the truck. Only had to use it once about a year ago. Ether and glow plugs is a bad combination, disable GP's if you must use it.

Silicone is recommended here and by my neighbor who is a 30 year diesel tech.

derby

I have used a rag lightly soaked with gas with good results. It is better to have a helper to do this. You do not get the violent knocking.

Ether is ok if you can meter it, just spraying it in the snorkel, well You know.......
I don't use ether unless it is an emergency.

Doesn't it have any type of block heater?

chevyCUCV

Glow plugs are a good option to any type of spray

Sorry had too, the 6.2 can start fine even under -20 Fahrenheit. Sounds like something is wrong gps, or cranking speed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a big difference with the effectiveness of ether with an direct or indirect injection diesel. Ether is great when used correctly on direct inj engines.

This topic have been covered in depth before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks