• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EUC Cleared in 14 Days - Now for my first recovery.

mistaken1

Scheduled for this Tuesday.

The GL rep was very helpful. He stated the truck was driven on to the lot I hope to drive it off!

If I understood Carnac correctly it had been in use until June 2008.

Brakes, brakes and more brakes! Stopping is a good thing.

Anyone have any suggestions for a local source of DOT 5 brake fluid? (Kansas City metro area)

Ordered some DOT 5 online along with filters but I am afraid nothing will arrive in time.

I have read the pickup thread as well as printing and reading the operators manual. I have printed the unit maintenance manuals and have been reading the engine and brake specific manuals.

Any advice beyond leave plenty of space in front and check for hydrostatic lock before starting?

If things do not look/feel safe I will schedule a wrecker for the following week.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 5 silicone brake fluid should be available at any auto and/or truck parts store

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, congrats on your record 14 day EUC and good luck on the recovery.

mistaken1

Roadtrip!

Recovery went great!

Left the house at 5:00 to arrive in Jefferson City, MO around 9:00.

Mike Snell with GL was great. Friendly and professional. He was prepared to spend all day with me to give me time verify roadworthiness of the the truck.

My friend Bernie and I spent several hours going through the truck.

All the fluids were good.
No leaks anywhere (no spots on the gravel either).
Body is solid, no rust to speak of but some flaking paint (the worst rusted area is the bottom of the driver's windshield frame).
All the lights and blinkers worked.
The fuel was clear (half a tank of diesel).
The back rear tires and the spare are new.
The air filter was new.
The belts were new.
The engine was rebuilt in May 2006.
The Deka batteries were new in 2007 (before starting the batteries read 24.5V).
The engine turned over (no hydrostatic lock) without assistance.
It took a few tries to get fuel to the cylinders then it fired right up.
The brakes were solid (all four rear wheel cylinders are new).

Finally got some pictures just before hitting the road.

On the highway at 50 MPH the truck tracked straight and true.
The engine ran smoothly at 2300 RPM and five hours later we parked it in my driveway.

Overall a well maintained truck. Carnac indicated that it was in service up until June 2008 and six months later it fired right it up and purred (roared actually) home.

I would love to do it again. There are some good looking trucks at Jeff City waiting to go out the door.

The GL rep indicated he had no idea why the hold but he was to keep processing vehicles as normal.

Attachments

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow, Nice catch and recovery. I love reading about how well most of these recoveries go and how the GL employees help out. I took a lot of pride in my first recovery and posting it, and the pictures on here. Prior recoveries aided me in what to look for before heading out. That and the using and reading the TM (thank you Doghead). It show hows welll taken care of these trucks are. The motor pool's 1st SGt gets credit for that one. Imagine going to recover a 45 year old pinto or vega.