• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EUC cleared, picking up M1009

HardCorps79

So after about 2 weeks, just found out the EUC cleared. A buddy and I are driving to Jefferson City tomorrow to pick up our M1009s and his M101 trailer. Got with GL this afternoon and set up the appointment. Our contact on site says one isn't starting now (they were both driven to the location just 3 weeks ago), but he didn't specify if it was mine or my friends. We're taking a tow-bar, a couple extra batteries and some spare parts just in case we can't get it jumped. I'll post pics and give updates as we go through the process.

This is my first MV for a POV and I'm already planning repairs, tune-ups and upgrades. I told my wife since I don't have to make a payment to a bank, I can drop a car payment's worth into this beast each month and have a pretty slick ride in a short time. She really didn't argue (for once :-D).

Assuming it's in basically good running order, any suggestions for priority fine-tuning (GP cards, GPs, Belts, filters, etc)? Let's say you can spend $150/week for the next 3 months, what would you do each week to make a decent vehicle a bullet-proof expeditionary vehicle? (I plan on using this as a daily driver on base, and for a trip out to Camp Lejeune in late May).

I also plan on keeping a footlocker full of spare parts. Suggestions? (Say you have a $1,000 budget, just for fun)

C'mon and help a newbie out...l:)

crusty

Spare Parts? I'd say starter bolts, vacuum hose, fuses, scotch bright to remove oxidation from electrical components, and glow plugs.

HeadWizard

If it starts and runs, fluids first. All of them, including filters.
Engine oil, 15w40
Both differentials, spend the $ for Mobil1 synthetic
transfer case, again synthetic
anti freeze flush
trans fluid, including filter. (I prefer to flush also).
power steering/hydroboost fluid
brake fluid, complete flush.
flush the blinker fluid with Mobil1 SBF

Check the brakes and repack the front hubs.
Check the lights.

Drive it and find out what goes wrong, fix that.

Have fun.

Oh, got my EUC's approved also and am picking up another M1009 Friday at Ft.Meade..... or maybe the M1008 w/plow.... what to do?

HardCorps79

Alright, so we successfully recovered 2 M1009s today! Left Kansas City about 0730, got into Jeff City about 1030. Met the GL guy at the guardshack and drove a block down the road to the lot. Holy crap! there are a lot of vehicles getting ready to come up on auction. At least 20 M1009s, a handful of M1008s, at least 10 M105 trailers, and at least 5 more M101 trailers (I'm certain I'm WAY underestimating on numbers). There were countless deuces and a bunch of other stuff I didn't even get to look at. Most of it looks pretty good, too.

So we got to our vehicles and neither would start. They had been driven to the lot just about 3 weeks ago and one had started yesterday. Gave my buddy's a jump off his POV and it fired right up. Did the same with mine, but no joy. We let it charge a while longer and it was turning over, but not catching. We reluctantly and with a lot of apprehension gave her a half-spray of starter fluid (about a nanosecond's worth). She fired right up. All the lights worked, transfer case was stiff at first, but finally gave in to my persistence (all our Humvees in Iraq had crusty tcs, too. Is this just normal with these?) Tires are 90% with no sign of cracking/dry rot. A lot of the others coming up for auction also had 90% tread, but were showing signs of dry rot. All the windows and locks worked. Topper has the sliding side panel windows. The clips on them are broken so not very secure, but should be an easy fix. The wiper blades were shredded so I picked up a couple on the way home (sky was clouding up).

We drove the highway 3 hours back and I shut her down at every stop. She fired right back up every time. Had no trouble maintaining 65-70mph. The speedo shows faster than I'm actually going, so I shouldn't have to worry about any tickets. There's a bit of free-play in the steering, especially over 60mph. Only real negatives (and there so minor) was a spot of rust below the driver's side door handle which I hadn't noticed in the pics, and I have no dashlights. The idiot lights are all good, but no backlighting. Only have a few pics, but here they are:

Attachments

HardCorps79

Mileage is 47,9xx. I put about 200 miles on it today. So far it's driving great. I let it set for a few hours and went out after the local temps had dropped almost 20 degrees since this afternoon and it fired right up. Only 2-3 seconds on the wait light. We'll see how it does tomorrow morning. Overnight low is supposed to be 19 degrees. Planning to change all the fluids and filters throughout the next week or two as the weather permits, and then will see if anything else comes up.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking 1009. Still waiting for my EUC. I hope mine runs that well since I'll be driving it about 900 miles home.

Screamer27

Hey man, we just picked ours up from Jefferson City today. Yours seems to be in about the same shape also, along with the number 3 on the passenger door ;) We drove ours 340+ miles back to Des Moines today ran great. Ours started right up this morning with the terrible cold, no slave cable needed. I couldn't believe how many more m1009's they have left. I wish you well with yours...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?p=336544&posted=1#post336544

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks