• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Evaluating Canned NHC 250

dk8019

So I have a wonderful NHC-250 in a can I bought a few weeks back. It currently resides in the back of my M109, but I can't decide what to do with it. I originally thought to scrap it, but curiosity got the best of me and I had to open the can up to see what was inside. I got it open, and the top part of the can mostly off, but it of course won't clear the top of the 109, so I'll being pulling it from the truck later today to get a better look.

I can tell the engine is a pull, it's been ran before, but does look better externally than the one in my 814. It appears to be complete, the starter, IP and generator was there, although the gen had been removed from it's bracket and was sitting in the bottom of the can on some large pads. I checked the oil, and it appears to have been mostly drained, but the oil on the stick looked good, no water etc. I suppose I should try to turn it over by hand tonight as well.

So the question is, how do you really determine if the engine is good? Should I take it to a diesel shop and have them check it over? If it was I suppose I could sell it for more than scrap, or keep it around for spares from my M814. What do you guys think?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02 If you sell it for scrap one day you might have wished you had kept it. I would not take it anywhere for now. you will just end up with a bunch of engine parts laying around or pay to have it taken down then put back. If you want to do anything loosen all valves that are open to each cyl. Try to seal can the best you can and put a bag of kitty litter in bottom of the can. Cover with tarp or keep under roof.

Last edited:

dk8019

Excellent points Florida. I've offered it to another member who might need it, it does look quite nice, and would make an excellent conversation piece in the basement. :-D

m109

Banned
Definetly keep it for spare parts since you have a engine already.

FYI i might also have a window frame if your still looking for one

jasonjc

Keep in mind that at depot they seal the can and fill it with dry nitrogen. When you or some opens the can thats it just closeing it again will not keep the moisture out. Now if its a take out same thing with moisture. You need to put some thing in the can for the moisture or it WILL turn a usable eng into scrape real fast. Unless you live in the dry derst. I seen one that I guy wanted $1000 for a LDT in the can but he opened it and the can had 6-8" of water in it,the hole eng was coverd in rust.

The point is keep it dry one day you may need it for the m814.
The military does not do much at unit level. I remember a humvee getting a new eng for a bad water pump. I drove the truck in it did not need a water pump. It was just going in for a service less than 5000 miles on it,I got it brand new. But the motor pool guy said the water pump was bad so they sent it to get the eng replaced. My point is there may not be any thing wrong with the NHC250. Some times it easyer to get a eng than a part (in the military at lest).

dk8019

Good point guys, it does look pretty decent. I'll see if the guy in Florida wants it, if not I'll hide it away some where. I can keep it dry etc, as you mentioned, it won't stay sealed otherwise. I had considered pressurizing it with air after bolting it back together, that would keep water out I suppose.

emr

I found a 465 in the weeds behind a road dept. that was said to be there 20 sum years, I took the chance and put her in and she fired right up and is running strong today 5 years later, just saying, If it turns over by hand it is more than likly a good motor, I would throw a blanket over it and then a canvas and then the lid and open it and let it dry out every 6 to 12 months, the blankets I have found if covered nicly no moisture allowed in keep the condesation from forming, this is a tested thing over the last 20some years with stuff, But I alwasy try to take time to let things dry out now and again.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Engines are definitely not always what they seem. I have cleaned up and used some that looked they were ready to be boat anchors. On the other hand, I bought a rebuilt NHC-250 on GL for a M925 project. It had been rebuilt, installed, locked up, and then put back in the can. Doh! :evil: Hopefully yours was pulled for something simple like a bad IP or a stuck injector.

drdstny

Banned
This. Or they make those air drying devices for rooms and basements. I used one of those in a car i was storing outside for a year plus and it was amazing the amount of water it pulled out of the air
Those amazing drying devices have a name: dehumidifier. I have one and do not recommend it for a small area you want less than 45% humidity in. (Poor English, but you get the point)

Dehumidifiers are great when you have a metric shload of books (like me) . They really won't do what you want done with car parts. Trust me, I tried. Best thing to do about storage is as what's been said: seal the can, put desiccant in the bottom or, if you can, refill it with nitrogen after vacuuming the humid air out.

Best thing to do about testing the engine is hook a starter up and check compression. 6x400#+silence=good engine. Might not be 400# in the NHC case, but you get the idea.

Nonotagain

If you want to "winterize" the engine, pour some engine oil into each cylinder, hand crank the engine a rotation or two, then use aluminum tape over the intake and exhaust openings.

You can use a "Golden Rod" that is used in a gunsafe to keep the humidity low in the container.

The dessicant packs need to be baked in the oven prior to use as most of the time they are already moisture contaminated.

Coldfusion21

Those amazing drying devices have a name: dehumidifier. I have one and do not recommend it for a small area you want less than 45% humidity in. (Poor English, but you get the point)

Dehumidifiers are great when you have a metric shload of books (like me) . They really won't do what you want done with car parts. Trust me, I tried. Best thing to do about storage is as what's been said: seal the can, put desiccant in the bottom or, if you can, refill it with nitrogen after vacuuming the humid air out.

Best thing to do about testing the engine is hook a starter up and check compression. 6x400#+silence=good engine. Might not be 400# in the NHC case, but you get the idea.

desiccant is what i was talking about.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can go to a boating supply house and buy the ones they put in cabin cruisers that sit tied to the dock for a while.

or

Desiccants

I also believe that Nitrogen is heavier than normal air so in theory you could seal the container back up and slowly fill it with Nitrogen from the top. Of course I don't know how you would know you were done.......... ;-)

91W350

I have a buddy that picked up a 250 Cummins at Ft. Riley for and old Diamond T truck that he uses to pull antique Caterpillars around. He bought it to overhaul for his truck. It looked like it had been run on the outside, but when he pulled the engine down, new sleeves, new pistons, new bearings and all it seems to have in it for oil was assembly oil. We could not find anything wrong with it, so off to the D-T it went. He used his Injection Pump, I am not sure if the original pump was bad, but the old D-T is back to dragging antique Cats all over this area. I know I would gladly have that engine in any of these old trucks. It may be a little weak for the newer higher geared stuff, but in the older iron, it is doing a fine job, has a sweet sounding exhaust note too! I would be sure to check it thoroughly before scapping it. You may be as lucky as my buddy was.

His was clean on the outside, but not repainted. It had an overhaul tag on the block that was a couple of years old. On the outside, it looked like one that had been running and pulled. You just never know what the big green is thinking.

dk8019

I played around with it some more, it turns over well by hand, so I would have to guess it's more or less ok on the inside, nothing big broken loose etc. What's the chance I could fire this thing up as it sits? There's no coolant etc, but I could rig a closed loop system with no radiator for a quick run, fill it and then give it diesel and fire it up, right?

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the oil filter off and cut it open. If there has been any internal damage like a bearing or such, it will show there. If you want to start it, you can do so in the can w/o the coolant in it. You can idle them a long time with no issues, just don't be mashing the throttle a whole bunch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks