• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

exhaust leak....need advice

DeuceNewb

My brother was able to go see one of the deuces I won before the euc clears and he told me it had an exhaust leak. He says you can sort of hear it, and idling you can barly see some smoke under the hood, and with a blip of the throttle you can see smoke coming up from the side of the motor. I am faced with the decision to tow it home or drive it. Would it be bad to drive it home? The trip is 45 min in a regular car with speed limits between 45-55. I can tow it home if needed.

Also, are there any common places for leaks or do i just need to wait to see it. I'm just real ancy waiting for the euc to clear and i just can't wait.

dittle

Could be a couple of places. The exhaust manifold is on the passenger side of the engine. After the manifold is where the J pipe hooks up and then goes vertical to the stack. Most likely places are the joint of the J pipe to manifold and the bottom of the J pipe due to corrosion from the inside out (i.e. water sat in the bottom of the J pipe).

DeuceNewb

I just got off the phone with him and all he said was it looked like it was coming out from around the manifold or tube below it. I will try to ghetto fix it there, otherwise I will just tow it home

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's leaking where the manifold meets the head or any of the turbo connections don't drive it. It will burn out the mating surface (if it hasn't already) and can cost a bunch to get fixed. If it's just leaking out the J pipe just try and put something over the hole for the trip home to keep fumes in the cab to a minimum.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds to me like he might not know the slobber tube is supposed to smoke and leak. Let us know what it was.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point Gimpy. I didn't catch that. That could very likely be where the smoke is comming from. If you are "pouring" smoke out of that tube you could have excesive blowby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks